[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I could easily hear Mary doing music similar to Anita Baker, Sade, and Brenda Russell.
    Me too. She really should have pursued some of this after Dreamgirl. That book created a lot of buzz for her. She should have jumped on it.

Mary always felt her forte was ballads, yet her legacy in the Supremes were all uptempo music. The fact that she wasn't signed after Dreamgirl was puzzling, as it created buzz and made it clear she was searching for a label. Ending up on Motorcity for UK and releasing Don't Get Mad Get Even then later Oooh Child were not enough to generate more buzz or interest in the States. I always felt a sound similar to Sade and Anita Baker would have served her well. Even in 1992, she first released One Night With You and quickly switched it to Walk The Line since it was more uptempo and the CD title. Why Mary did not pursue it in that vein is only known to her.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary always felt her forte was ballads, yet her legacy in the Supremes were all uptempo music. The fact that she wasn't signed after Dreamgirl was puzzling, as it created buzz and made it clear she was searching for a label. Ending up on Motorcity for UK and releasing Don't Get Mad Get Even then later Oooh Child were not enough to generate more buzz or interest in the States. I always felt a sound similar to Sade and Anita Baker would have served her well. Even in 1992, she first released One Night With You and quickly switched it to Walk The Line since it was more uptempo and the CD title. Why Mary did not pursue it in that vein is only known to her.
    There were companies that tried.

Mary sang this classic Jacques Brel song at her Symphony concert at Constitution Hall in the 90s:

Mary sang this classic Jacques Brel song at her Symphony concert at Constitution Hall in the 90s:

The arrangement is way to fast....This is definitely not is a song to be rushed.
    That aside, Marys interpretive skills are sensational. It’s almost if she is reliving a past memory as she bares her soul to the audience. Not a note or a gesture is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The arrangement is way to fast....This is definitely not is a song to be rushed.
    That aside, Marys interpretive skills are sensational. It’s almost if she is reliving a past memory as she bares her soul to the audience. Not a note or a gesture is wasted.
    I said the same thing about it being too fast. I went and listened to Jacque Brel's original and that is when I knew. He sings it very slow, very deliberate and with so much intense emotion. The 1950s video of him performing it is almost too hard to watch.

Great performance

She is a good ballad singer.
    She should add more to her shows....touch...we should be closer....warm summer night.....

and then she would do this song, which has become a favorite of mine:

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary always felt her forte was ballads, yet her legacy in the Supremes were all uptempo music.
    I don't think that's true. The only uptempo songs she sang lead on were "Come and Get These Memories", "Davy Crockett", "He's My Man", "Early Morning Love", "This Is Why I Believe". Am I missing another one? The studio versions of "Can't Take My Eyes" is certainly more uptempo than the versions she did live, but I would say they're more mid-tempo. But overall, while in the group, if Mary was getting the lead she was handed a ballad.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't think that's true. The only uptempo songs she sang lead on were "Come and Get These Memories", "Davy Crockett", "He's My Man", "Early Morning Love", "This Is Why I Believe". Am I missing another one? The studio versions of "Can't Take My Eyes" is certainly more uptempo than the versions she did live, but I would say they're more mid-tempo. But overall, while in the group, if Mary was getting the lead she was handed a ballad.
    "Floy Joy" was kinda uptempo. We danced to it. "Automatically Sunshine" was more mid-tempo".

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    She is a good ballad singer.
    She should add more to her shows....touch...we should be closer....warm summer night.....
    ”Touch” perhaps spliced with “Bridge Over Troubled Water” would sound rather good together.
    I don’t think “Closer Together ” would work as well live, especially without Sussaye but may be wrong. I’m personally rather pleased she does not perform “Summer Nights” at this point in time.
    I feel certain she could do justice to a slowed down, sensitive version of “I Guess I’ll Miss The Man” and/or a jazz arrangement of the the song “How Insensitive”......The possibilities are endless.

”Touch” perhaps spliced with “Bridge Over Troubled Water” would sound rather good together.
    I don’t think “Closer Together ” would work as well live, especially without Sussaye but may be wrong. I’m personally rather pleased she does not perform “Summer Nights” at this point in time.
    I feel certain she could do justice to a slowed down, sensitive version of “I Guess I’ll Miss The Man” and/or a jazz arrangement of the the song “How Insensitive”......The possibilities are endless.
    I love how Mary sings "I Remember You" and "Spring Is Here" in her symphony concerts.

I love how Mary sings "I Remember You" and "Spring Is Here" in her symphony concerts.
    Yes I agree. Both songs are great editions to those concerts.
    It would be great if Mary were to record an album where fans get to choose the songs she sings.

Yes I agree. Both songs are great editions to those concerts.
    It would be great if Mary were to record an album where fans get to choose the songs she sings.
    Now that would be a dream.........come true! We'd give her 20-25 songs and she choses say 12 from that list.

Now that would be a dream.........come true! We'd give her 20-25 songs and she choses say 12 from that list.
    I don’t know if/when or how many times that has been done before. The only example I have is by uk stage singer Elaine Paige who recorded an album using the criteria a few years back.
    I have to say though that a few of those song choices proved a little odd lol.

I don’t know if/when or how many times that has been done before. The only example I have is by uk stage singer Elaine Paige who recorded an album using the criteria a few years back.
    I have to say though that a few of those song choices proved a little odd lol.
    LOL!!!! hehehehehe...