[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - Is That All There Is [[Live at the Grove, 1970)

Just saw this

Diana proving why she was [[and is) the consummate performer.

Odd choice to post from the 'Let's See If Diana Ross Can Make It On Her Own' show. Having seen the show at NYC's Empire Room at the Waldorf-Astoria [[and also being in possession of an unofficial recording of the Grove show) I can factually relay that Diana's rendition of Peggy Lee's hit was a minor bit of comic relief of the sort that was usual in nightclub acts of the time and was greeted warmly by the audience. The bit does, of course, not wear well, nor do many more cringe-worthy bits done by Ella, etc in 1970.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-19-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Apart from anything else Diana proves she has really good comic timing. Not an easy song to put over I would have thought. Proves the actress was always in her.

I'd never heard this before, kinda fun to a new listener.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I'd never heard this before, kinda fun to a new listener.
    Darin
    That's nice to hear, Darin! It is fun, and when I first heard it on the unofficial cd I have it brought back nice memories. I believe Diana performed the song while in a baby's high chair and in baby regalia, but it was 50 years ago [[and therefore 15 or so years before I was born )

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    That's nice to hear, Darin! It is fun, and when I first heard it on the unofficial cd I have it brought back nice memories. I believe Diana performed the song while in a baby's high chair and in baby regalia, but it was 50 years ago [[and therefore 15 or so years before I was born )
    yeah wasn't the baby costume similar to the one she wore for People in the Leading Lady medley on GIT?

for her solo debut, i know she kept the LL medley and went through a series of costumes during it. I never really liked or got the baby girl ensemble for People. In her solo show, anyone know what she wore for the People segment?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yeah wasn't the baby costume similar to the one she wore for People in the Leading Lady medley on GIT?

for her solo debut, i know she kept the LL medley and went through a series of costumes during it. I never really liked or got the baby girl ensemble for People. In her solo show, anyone know what she wore for the People segment?
    I've only seen one photo from her Leading Lady medley in concert. It appears in J. Randy's first book on Diana. She is wearing a cowboy hat and a glittery top with a gun and holster at her hip. I assume this is for "Doin' What Comes Naturally" from ANNIE GET YOUR GUN.

Re the baby girl outfit for PEOPLE, I assume she was emulating Fanny Brice's Baby Snooks radio character.
    Last edited by reese; 03-20-2020 at 11:10 AM.

there are a couple of fans' personal pics of her in the My Fair Lady outfit onstage. and i think i've seen the Mame outfit - i say that because i remember it was pink as opposed to the dower and gloomy rust/orange/gold theme from the special

I have to say - however decided to use those colors for GIT couldn't have selected a more depression palate lololol

My recollection of two outfits from her first solo show:

She wore the GIT Rhythm Of Life ensemble for Is That All There Is, Reach Out & Touch [[Somebody's Hand) and The Rhythm Of Life.

She wore a pink long-sleeved mini-skirted shift for the Leading Lady Medley. This was accessorized for various songs, with, for example, a gun and holster for Doin' What Comes Naturally. She wore a white pinafore and large pink bow in her hair for People, and she vamped a seductive strip-tease, removing the bow and the pinafore as she performed Let Me Entertain You [[not Everything's Coming Up Roses); then she slipped into a pink crushed velvet and white feather recreation of the Mame dress for the finale of this segment. It was a classy, well-choreographed segment of a triumphant show.

cool!

the jumpsuit she wore under the wrap for Coming Up Roses in GIT is, i think, the same outfit she wore on cover of Everything is Everything

And there are pics of her in the costume for Loverly. did she do Wash That Man?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Odd choice to post from the 'Let's See If Diana Ross Can Make It On Her Own' show. Having seen the show at NYC's Empire Room at the Waldorf-Astoria [[and also being in possession of an unofficial recording of the Grove show) I can factually relay that Diana's rendition of Peggy Lee's hit was a minor bit of comic relief of the sort that was usual in nightclub acts of the time and was greeted warmly by the audience. The bit does, of course, not wear well, nor do many more cringe-worthy bits done by Ella, etc in 1970.
    I see your point. But at that time, it SEEMED to work. Obviously what worked for 1970 wouldn't work later on.

Anyone know if Andy and George have considered releasing the Grove tracks on an expanded version of DR [[1970)?