Hi Guys,
I read tons of show biz memoirs, even when the star isn't somebody I'm all that interested in. I just love hearing their stories. Over the next few days I am going to start posting stories related to Motown artists that might come from odd places, stories you might have missed. Today is LaMonte Mclemore's version of events surrounding the 5th's version of Love Hangover. Hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion around who recorded what, when.
LaMonte says that in 1976 he was desperately looking for a tight, danceable song for the post Marilyn and Billy group. He felt strongly that the group needed a funky dance hit to return the 5th to their hit making glory days. The 5th's last danceable recording was No Love in the Room in 1974--but LaMonte didn't like it and didn't feel that people would dance to it. He was right and NLITR tanked. Anyway when Marilyn and Billy left the 5th, LaMonte knew they had to get a hit fast. Somehow or another LaMonte came across Diana Ross's album that contained Love Hangover as [[at the time) an album cut. Motown released I Thought it Took a Little Time as the lead single, while L brought the song Love Hangover to their manager Marc Gordon. Everybody concerned agreed this would be the record to be their big hit.

Florence sang lead in a darkened studio, and the rest of the group added their flavors to the mix, and the song was released. LH started up the charts, including in the over seas markets and dance markets. Things looked great! Right then, LaMonte got an odd call from Gil Askey, who was on tour with Diana Ross in London. He said, with "shy if not sly amusement," that DR had heard their version of Love Hangover. When DR first heard LH on the radio, she thought it was her version. In fact, she told Gil "Good. I told Berry we should release that song as a single." She was all pleased with herself, until she realized "now wait a minute, that's not my F'ing SONG!!!" Diana got on the phone to Berry, demanded that I Thought It Took Time to Learn get yanked as a single, and demanded LH be issued instead. She said, according to LaMonte, "Whatever it takes, squash the 5th's version of Love Hangover!!"
After that, the 5th's version of LH stopped getting played altogether, and DR's version stormed the charts!