[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I saw her on September 19, 1984. Still have the ticket stub and it was $30. I remember the opening and she did not come out in a t-shirt and jeans but a beautiful white or pink gown. Could not tell if it was the lighting or not. I distinctly remember Home and New York State of Mind and It's My Turn. Beautiful performances.

The story of her mother being ill was in the NY papers. I recall reading about it. At the end of the show, I remember her coming out in a black and gold robe/wrap and talking with the audience. Honestly can not remember if she talked about her mother or not.

She is very open here too

Diana's mother must have passed away relatively young; does anyone know how old she was?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Diana's mother must have passed away relatively young; does anyone know how old she was?
    She was 68.

the 11 sold out shows grossed $1,772,505,00

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    the 11 sold out shows grossed $1,772,505,00
    I remember reading about the demand for these shows and additional dates being added. If I’m not mistaken, a Sunday afternoon performance was added as well.

For the fans that were there, what was it that created the demand for these shows? Was it due to these being Diana’s first post-Central Park NY shows? Excitement over the new Swept Away LP and it’s single releases? Had it been several years since Diana’s last traditional NY concerts?

What created the frenzy for these shows?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I remember reading about the demand for these shows and additional dates being added. If I’m not mistaken, a Sunday afternoon performance was added as well.

For the fans that were there, what was it that created the demand for these shows? Was it due to these being Diana’s first post-Central Park NY shows? Excitement over the new Swept Away LP and it’s single releases? Had it been several years since Diana’s last traditional NY concerts?

first engagement in NY since 1979.
    1984 at Radio City Music Hall september 19, 20,21, 22, 23, at 8 pm and midnight
    1984 at Radio City Music Hall september 24 at 8 pm

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

Actually, quite simple: a beloved singer and entertainer on her [[nearly) annual visit to a city with great taste in performers!

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    first engagement in NY since 1979.
    1984 at Radio City Music Hall september 19, 20,21, 22, 23, at 8 pm and midnight
    1984 at Radio City Music Hall september 24 at 8 pm
    Thank you! I didn’t realize there had been such a long gap in engagements.

Although technically New Jersey, she did perform at Giant Stadium. New Yorkers consider that a NY show/appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She was 68.
    Thanks

Pretty darn young

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Although technically New Jersey, she did perform at Giant Stadium. New Yorkers consider that a NY show/appearance.
    Correct. And Diana had several extended runs at the Westbury Music Theater on Long Island as well, which NYers considered NY shows.

you can see the sadness in Diana's face over her mothers illness in the picture from after one of these shows [[with her daughters and Bob) included in Taraborelli's "Call Her Miss Ross"
    Very telling photo. Bob and Diana's kids all trying to present some semblance of happiness but Diana's anguish is very visible... think her mother died during the middle of these shows too if I'm not mistaken. Devastating to lose your mother no matter how old.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Thanks

Pretty darn young
    Well she had suffered from health problems her whole life.

Remember, the Rosses relocated to Bessemer, Alabama while she was recovering from tuberculosis in the early '50s until she got well.

Johnny B, I'll concur with you; there was a Sunday afternoon show, and I saw it.

That day, Diana seemed to have a cold and runny nose and was not as engaged or engaging as usual. There were more young children running up and down the aisle. Too, the sound system may have been amped up too much; I recall having a very bad headache during and after the show.

Radio City's famous gold curtain was mainly closed, with just a small arc, slightly to the left of stage center, open to reveal Diana at or near the end of the show. I think she wore a gown with a strapless top, maybe in blue, and a full skirt of white. She stood absolutely still as she sang Forever Young and as always sang the wrong lyric [["the highest road") but was mesmerizing in part because the lower part of the skirt was lit to look like a rainbow.

The show did seem too short, but truly, I did not mind because the experience was disappointing due to the noise, the kids and Diana's disengagement. And for me, nothing afterward measured up to her 1970 initial solo tour or her 1976/1977 "evening with..." program. Each of those was so perfect, and the later shows from the 1980s and 1990s were less than perfect in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Johnny B, I'll concur with you; there was a Sunday afternoon show, and I saw it.

That day, Diana seemed to have a cold and runny nose and was not as engaged or engaging as usual. There were more young children running up and down the aisle. Too, the sound system may have been amped up too much; I recall having a very bad headache during and after the show.

Radio City's famous gold curtain was mainly closed, with just a small arc, slightly to the left of stage center, open to reveal Diana at or near the end of the show. I think she wore a gown with a strapless top, maybe in blue, and a full skirt of white. She stood absolutely still as she sang Forever Young and as always sang the wrong lyric [["the highest road") but was mesmerizing in part because the lower part of the skirt was lit to look like a rainbow.

The show did seem too short, but truly, I did not mind because the experience was disappointing due to the noise, the kids and Diana's disengagement. And for me, nothing afterward measured up to her 1970 initial solo tour or her 1976/1977 "evening with..." program. Each of those was so perfect, and the later shows from the 1980s and 1990s were less than perfect in so many ways.
    Does not sound like it was a very enjoyable or entertaining evening Ben.
    Regarding Diana's 80’s and 90’s concerts, what do you find less perfect when compared to her 70’s performances?.

regarding the less elaborate production and staging in her concerts post Motown split -it all comes down to cost - she became locked in a much simpler show because she wanted less overheads and more profit - the same principle was applied to production costs on her RCA albums [[discussed recently in threads) - she wanted to save. she wanted the least recoupable margin taken from the gross of recording and stage work..thats not to say the concerts from the 80s onwards are not good she just wasnt prepared to absorb the costs Motown had..also music video production was now an integral part of her budget less money went to staging of shows and the money went on glossy video promos to try and sell the songs
    Last edited by nomis; 03-16-2021 at 05:31 PM.

regarding the less elaborate production and staging in her concerts post Motown split -it all comes down to cost - she became locked in a much simpler show because she wanted less overheads and more profit - the same principle was applied to production costs on her RCA albums [[discussed recently in threads) - she wanted to save. she wanted the least recoupable margin taken from the gross of recording and stage work..thats not to say the concerts from the 80s onwards are not good she just wasnt prepared to absorb the costs Motown had..also music video production was now an integral part of her budget less money went to staging of shows and the money went on glossy video promos to try and sell the songs
    I agree, although I don’t think Diana’s 80’s/90’s concerts particularly needed elaborate staging. I certainly wish she would spend a little more on her present shows then she currently does. She sounds so much better when performing with a fuller band/orchestra.