[REMOVE ADS]

Any Info On MARBAYA ?

Listening to Marbaya on Motown [[1247F, '73) "Follow Me/Mother Nature" b/w "And I Thought You Loved Me" Both songs are NICE! Who is Marbaya?

Is 'And I Thought You Loved Me' the same song as The Supremes, Thelma Houston? Is there anywhere online to hear a clip?

Sunshine,
    The members of Marbaya were Frankie Karl, Bobby Warren, Skip Starkey & Bobby Evans. Here are a few links for Frankie Karl, who passed away in 2008.

Northern Soul fans will remember Frankie for his work with The Chevrons/7th Avenue Aviators & the Northern Soul classic, "You Should 'O Held On". Here's a link to his old website, with a tiny picture of the group:
    http://caltek.net/fk/motown1.html

and a discussions about him that we had here:
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/150056/1...tml?1187823447

We had a thread here when he passed away, but I can't find it in the archives.

Thank you juice! I would have never guessed that was Frankie Karl singing lead [[?) on the Marbaya sides. I remember Frankie Karl and the Dreams, "Don't Be Afraid" very well, as it got heavy rotation in L.A. and the Bay Area, where I'm from. [[In fact, Ruben Molina dedicated an entire page to Frankie Karl in his excellent Low Rider book, which is where I learned it was actually Gene Dozier who sung all the vocals on "I'm So Glad", the flip of "Don't Be Afraid")

It's still a surprise to hear it's Frankie Karl on the Marbaya sides, as I associate him with the falsetto voice he [[mostly) used on his earlier recordings. On both Marbaya recordings the lead vocals are big and deep, and must have given Karl an opportunity to show off his gospel roots. Too bad he didn't do more at Motown.

Thanks again juice, and thanks SDF!

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Is 'And I Thought You Loved Me' the same song as The Supremes, Thelma Houston? Is there anywhere online to hear a clip?
    Yes, it is the same song as the Supremes [[though the arrangement sounds different.)

My name is Bobby Evans, I was a member of the group Marbaya from 1972 until 1974.

Marbaya was a four man group,other member were Bobby Warren,Skip Starkey,Frankie Karl.

Follow Me Mother Nature,and -And I Thought You Loved Me were produce my Nick and Dino that produce Rare Earth.

"And I Thought You Loved Me" is such a great song. It was originally scheduled together with "Follow Me/ Mother Nature" for release on Mowest as by the Music Makers. Why was the name changed to Marbaya?

The Music Makers name change

The Music Makers name was change to Marbaya because a another group had that name at that time.I remember Skip coming up with the name.
    Yours Truly,
    Bobby Evans

How great to hear from an original member! I am unfamiliar with this group. We need a Rare Earth [[label) Anthology!

Rare Earth was with Motown,they recording Get Ready,and Hey Big Brother.
    Hey Big Brother was recording by Marbaya also,but it wasn't release.

Mr Evans, welcome to the board!

And I thought I knew a bit about Motown...never heard about Marbaya, but reading this I am curious. Is there anything of your Mowest/rare earth/Motown output available?

Thanks for posting!

I think you can buy Follow Me Mother Nature,and the b side And I thought You Loved Me on e-bay
    Your Truly,Bobby Evans

Hi Mr Evans,

Thank you for the info! Was there anything else by MARBAYA unreleased other than "Hey Big Brother"?

Also, did you sing with other groups either before, or after MARBAYA?

Still making music!

I Sang with many groups before,and after Marbaya,but right now I'm singing by myself.
    I have a cd that I'm promoting,I'm on youtube@greeneyes362,Myspace@ Fifty and More,cd baby,the name of the song on cd baby is Autumn.Go to cd baby http:cdbaby.com/new/520. Get back with me tell me what you think. Evans' Project has 14 songs,Autumn is one of them.I'm back in the studio on 27th of this month.
    Yours Truly,Bobby Evans