[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

1) AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH.

As much as I love I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN and Dionne, I think it is a rather laid-back vocal. I don't think of it as a "performance" like Diana's on ANMHE.

SOPHISTICATED LADY is ok. But I don't think of it as any better than LOVE HANGOVER or Aretha's SOMETHING HE CAN FEEL, which I believe was also nominated that year.
    I think "performance" is used in the same way as "singing", not so much the "theatrics" involved. When it comes to the generic term of "pop", it's hard to beat what Dionne was doing at that time. What Diana did on "Mountain" was much more edgier than anything I would've considered pop at the time. On top of that, keep in mind that most of the actual verses of "Mountain" are not of Diana singing at all. It would be hard for even me to cast a vote for a song where a singer is doing mostly spoken word vs one where the singer is, well, singing throughout.

If Diana was going to be nominated at all in the pop category at that point, I think "Reach Out and Touch" was worthy of nomination, even if it still would've lost out.

Same thing with "Love Hangover". For all of a minute Diana does any real singing. After that, when the beat kicks up, Barbara Martin could've probably sung the rest of it and sold millions. What Nat and Ree did vocally with their songs is a whole other world from what Diana did. Vocally not even in the same league. Now had she gotten a nom for "I Thought It Took A Little Time"...now there's a worthy opponent for "Sophisticated" and "Give Him Something", even though it probably would've still lost out.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 02-01-2020 at 01:12 PM.

The Supremes were even more ignored. "You Can't Hurry Love", "You Keep Me Hangin On", "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone", "Reflections", "Love Child", "Someday We'll Be Together", and "Stoned Love" definitely all deserved Grammy noms, if not wins. And vocally speaking, some of those album cuts on the Jean albums, like "This Is the Story" deserved a nomination.