Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
seems like Diana was simply too distracted during the Ross sessions to really give it the focus the album needed. She was dealing with the whole Central Park project, trying to get the J Baker moving off the ground, feeling the full brunt of having to manage all of her tour and career details.

Bluebrock mentioned there was some outtakes that, unfortunately, didn't make the lp. Not sure if they're Katz or Parker songs. i'd guess Parker since he only had 2 on the set. while they seem to sort of fit in with the earlier Katz tracks, it's too bad the project wasn't completely assigned to 1 producer. especially after the eclecticism of Silk Electric. having a unified project would have been a plus.

Diana was also really putting her recordings on the back burner. She just doesn't seem too engaged vocally. I like That's How You Start Over. but it seems she sings at only "medium hot" rather than go full gusto with it. there's a little bit of extra energy and ad libs at the very very end. but could use more throughout.
I think she rushed through the recording of ROSS so that it would be ready and out in time for the Central Park concert. I think it is ok but it is far from great. I really feel that's why SWEPT AWAY came out so well because she knew she had to do better.