[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    'This is the story' 3CD set

    Is the ONLY copy of this REALLY $699.99 on Amazon.com? None on Amazon UK, ebay or on discogs. Have scoured lots of other places. I would really like it but that's a really ridiculous price! Anyone considering selling or have a spare? I have a spare 'Meet the Supremes' expanded and also a spare 'Where did our love go' expanded...!

  2. #2
    I've seen it go on eBay for $100-ish, but never much more. People often list it at those outrageous prices because they see Amazon's algorithms, which are based on how many copies they sold, how many have been posted, and all sorts of other crazy things. I almost bought a second backup of TITS when it came out and wish I would have. The other place to look is overseas. Check Yahoo! Japan Auctions as they often have stuff for much more reasonable prices, although the shipping can be high if you're not careful.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I've seen it go on eBay for $100-ish, but never much more. People often list it at those outrageous prices because they see Amazon's algorithms, which are based on how many copies they sold, how many have been posted, and all sorts of other crazy things. I almost bought a second backup of TITS when it came out and wish I would have. The other place to look is overseas. Check Yahoo! Japan Auctions as they often have stuff for much more reasonable prices, although the shipping can be high if you're not careful.
    Thank you!

  4. #4
    What a shame that you missed this one!

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/This-Is-t...p2047675.l2557

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    What a shame that you missed this one!

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/This-Is-t...p2047675.l2557
    Definitely! Never mind, I'm sure the winner will enjoy it and worse things happen, my husband is just completing radiotherapy for a brain tumour this week so I won't get too down about missing a bargain!

  6. #6
    Sorry to hear about your husband. As you say there are more important issues in life. I wish him a speedy recovery.

  7. #7
    I just bought a copy from EBay for $55.00. You really have to check constantly. Good luck.

  8. #8
    A while back I bought 3 of the cd set in an Austin music store for $25. Some guy was moving and liquidated his cd collection.

  9. #9
    I think I'm not seeing some of these eBay items because they don't ship to the UK! I'll keep trying! Thanks everyone :-). My husband is doing well so far thanks, one day at a time!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I just bought a copy from EBay for $55.00. You really have to check constantly. Good luck.
    This is true. Many sellers on eBay are switching to "buy it now" rather than week-long auctions. You can save a search and have the site email or text you when a new sale is posted. The only issue is you'll get anything related to "This is the Story" including the 45rpm single, but its worth doing in order to score the set.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    This is true. Many sellers on eBay are switching to "buy it now" rather than week-long auctions. You can save a search and have the site email or text you when a new sale is posted. The only issue is you'll get anything related to "This is the Story" including the 45rpm single, but its worth doing in order to score the set.
    I am checking regularly... and have saved the search so fingers crossed. If anyone wishes to offer me one they are happy to part with (especially if they have got more than one in their collection that they can spare) please message me, or my email address is rob.neave@gmail.com! Thanks for all the advice :-)

  12. #12
    I am the same as you...I only have a copied version of this....I wish someone would re-release it...I ended up buying the 70s Supremes bootlegs from abroad because I wanted all the tracks....Worntorn I live in Norwich too

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I am the same as you...I only have a copied version of this....I wish someone would re-release it...I ended up buying the 70s Supremes bootlegs from abroad because I wanted all the tracks....Worntorn I live in Norwich too
    Wow, small world mowsville! I agree they should re-release it. Such a shame the runs we're so limited.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Worntorndress View Post
    Is the ONLY copy of this REALLY $699.99 on Amazon.com? None on Amazon UK, ebay or on discogs. Have scoured lots of other places. I would really like it but that's a really ridiculous price! Anyone considering selling or have a spare? I have a spare 'Meet the Supremes' expanded and also a spare 'Where did our love go' expanded...!
    That is way too much money! I bought it when it was originally released and I am pretty sure it was for around $20. It is now considered rare since they only produced something like 5,000-10,000 copies in it's first run.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is way too much money! I bought it when it was originally released and I am pretty sure it was for around $20. It is now considered rare since they only produced something like 5,000-10,000 copies in it's first run.
    Yes! That is crazy money! It's a shame they were limited and couldn't have been more promoted to the mass market, or have a limited deluxe package and a basic, more readily available edition. I've been listening to the magnificent duets and love Jean's lead as well as Levi Stubbs's magnificent voice.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Worntorndress View Post
    Yes! That is crazy money! It's a shame they were limited and couldn't have been more promoted to the mass market, or have a limited deluxe package and a basic, more readily available edition. I've been listening to the magnificent duets and love Jean's lead as well as Levi Stubbs's magnificent voice.
    Motown and now Universal always underestimated the popularity of their groups like the Supremes and Four Tops. They still do not realize that these music artists are now cultural icons around the World! How can you "assume" that there is not much of a market for The Supremes 70s music when it is being sampled constantly by Hip Hop artists and used in commercials somewhere everyday. Amazing!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.