Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
There's not a lot of talk about "Touch me in the morning". Yet it is the first of the great ballads that mark Diana Ross's style in the public mind.

I'd like to come back to these rumours, which are perhaps not rumours at all and which give the singer a certain prejudice.

It would have taken 15 takes for Masser to get what he wanted and Miller is quoted in the Billboard Book of Number One Hits as saying it took 300 hours of editing to finish the song. Since then, in biographies, articles, we have the idea of a capricious Diana who prefers to take care of her wigs rather than work on her songs.

When it comes to Barbra Streisand, it never occurs to anyone to criticize her for the infinite number of takes she does for a single song. On the contrary.

In Diana's case, there's a suspicion that it wasn't good enough... But now, we have several alternative takes, and they're all beautiful.

In the end, maybe, the truth is that the two producers were not able to assume their indecision and they blame it on Miss Ross. It's easier and maybe more marketable to the press.
I'll always love Diana's "Touch Me In The Morning". Never heard any of the alternate takes of the song but I agree that it's the first of her great ballads.