[REMOVE ADS]

Louvain Demps as a replacement for Flo

Does anyone know why Louvain wasn't considered as a replacement for Flo? Even when they needed someone to stand-in for her onstage like when Marlene did?

She had a soprano voice, they had a more similar look than Marlene and Flo and from what I read Louvain actually did want to be on the road touring whereas it sounded like Marlene didn't want that. Actually I can't remember, was Marlene ever approached about replacing Flo permanently?

I don't know if this was a consideration. But I believe Louvain is rather short. Onstage, it might have looked a bit off with her standing in Flo's usual spot.

Re Marlene, I have read various accounts. In Vickie Wright's book on the Andantes, Marlene says that she knew her filling in for Flo was a temporary situation while they were negotiating to get Cindy, although some of her timeline dates seem earlier than when Cindy was approached.

I didn't realize she was short. I guess that made it harder for her to wear the gowns.

I just remember reading how much she wanted to be out on the road and be in the limelight yet Marlene didn't want that. And I'm thinking "Well why wasn't she picked to fill in for Flo?".

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Well why wasn't she picked to fill in for Flo?
    Simple. Cos Motown wanted her, plus the other Andantes, in the studio - not out on the road where ever.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't know if this was a consideration. But I believe Louvain is rather short. Onstage, it might have looked a bit off with her standing in Flo's usual spot.

Re Marlene, I have read various accounts. In Vickie Wright's book on the Andantes, Marlene says that she knew her filling in for Flo was a temporary situation while they were negotiating to get Cindy, although some of her timeline dates seem earlier than when Cindy was approached.
    I have seen references to Louvain’s height and sadly I think there is some truth to what Reese says.

I still wonder how the Andantes appeared on 10,000 recordings. How much work did they do outside Motown? Did they hum on every Motown song?

That would have been interesting. Motown really used the Andantes on a number of records and they were crucial in the studio like the Funk Brothers.
    Motown knew what they were doing with Cindy. She was the same size as Flo, bore a slight resemblance to Flo and really was perfect for the glamour era that the group was heading into. Certainly, the sound may have closely resembled the Flo era as Cindy started of in DRATS singing quite softly and Mary compensated with that given the background a different sound-perhaps with Louvain it may have resembled Flo with more of that same harmony sound. Still, everything worked out for the best as Cindy was an amazing and beloved Supreme.

motown really seemed to sort of pigeonhole people. if you were a producer, you produced. you didn't sing. if you were a singer, you didn't produce. of course Smokey was always an exception to this. people had their role and that is what they were expected to do.

The A's were studio musicians. plain and simple. that was their role and that was all they were ever really going to do with the company

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    motown really seemed to sort of pigeonhole people. if you were a producer, you produced. you didn't sing. if you were a singer, you didn't produce. of course Smokey was always an exception to this. people had their role and that is what they were expected to do.

The A's were studio musicians. plain and simple. that was their role and that was all they were ever really going to do with the company
    Don't forget Stevie and Marvin.

The Andantes were clear from the start that they did not want be a travelling act. They wanted to be home with their kids and families

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Don't forget Stevie and Marvin.
    yeah but that wasn't until the 70s and also have they had fought HARD for that right. motown certainly didn't just turn over the reigns to them willingly.

Because that would have broken up the Andantes and I doubt Louvain was even considered as an official replacement. Marlene joined them a few times though, didn't mean anything in the long run.