[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Uk impressions fans only - heads up on uk shows

Just seen an ad in the Sunday Times magazine for the Impressions and The Curtom Orchestra appearing at the London Barbican Friday 10th June. A web search shows they are also appearing at the Bridgewater Hall Manchester on Saturday 11th June and there is a web booking facility.

Frustratingly, for the London shows, attempts to book tickets on the three websites shown on the web failed as they don't show any such events, and the phone number displayed took me through a hopeless and expensive cycle of 0844 numbers before I finally admitted defeat! I guess my final attempt is to contact the Barbican direct tomorrow. Unfortunately, yet another example of poor marketing / booking performance which undermines the potential viability of these shows. If anyone in the UK has any better info on these shows, please let me know, as I have always rated the Impressions and would love to see them.

Whoever organised these shows doesn't know the UK soul scene.
    The group's UK shows clash that weekend with the Cleethorpes Soul Weekender & so a huge proportion of their potential audience will already have booked to be in North Lincolnshire [[from Friday afternoon until Monday morning) and therefore will have no chance of making it to either the London or Manchester venue.

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/eve...l.asp?ID=12057

OK, good news, seats now released on Barbican website for London show. Plenty of seats, I just booked two sets middle of very front row.

MIke

I live right next to the Barbican centre. I might go there and sit next to ya!

No excuse for you to miss it, you don't even have to battle your way xtown in all that traffic!

You guys are going to see a great performance. I have seen them recently and they don't miss a beat. Reggie Torian sounds remarkably like Curtis Mayfield, Sam Gooden and Fred Cash are as good as they ever was. They are consumate showman and great people. They have been doing this for over fitty years, incredible. Let me know with a review of the show. What most folks don't realize is the sound of Fred and Sam continues to give the Impressions an identifiable air of authenticity, Chicago is still in da house.......

Paladin, I am very excited and have high expectations. I bought my first Impressions album in 1965 and have bought everything other than the Versatile Impressions. Couldn't accept those 'boring' standards when Curtis was himself such a great songwriter.

Love those vocals. As an aside, I always found the vocals of The Icemen to be in precisely the same style as The Impressions, even though written by the Poindexters etc. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAavI_76aQc

wonder_woman Guest
    Mike, I've booked third row from front, see ya there!

Well.

Seems like this could be promoted better to me .. I hadn't heard anything about any London appearance until I read this thread, Only the Manchester appearance which is being advertised a lot on Jazz-FM .. I think RICHARD SEARLING must have something to do with that show as it sounds like him doing the voice over on the adverts.

Found this link to tickets for the Manchester concert ..

http://www.songkick.com/concerts/828...idgewater-hall

Roger

I just booked my ticket. Friday 10 June at 7.30pm. Row H27. I paid £35

The first 5 rows are the same level as the stage the next lot of seats are tiered startign at row H.

Well, I'm front row so I don't want nobody from the cheap seats running up to the stage and blocking my view! I'll be wearing the gold lame suit. LOL

That's odd, the lady at the counter told me that I might want to sit well away from the front row ! Now I know why!

That's odd, the lady at the counter is my wife! Wonder why she didn't want you sitting with us in the front row?

Hahahahaha

Boy from, wonder-woman, make sure you say hi, looking forward to meeting you there

Tonight is Impressions night!

Whoo hoo

Man sometimes I can't keep up with all the different threads, but I finally found something that I wrote in the "Honest Opinion thread" :

Francis thanks, but Reggie Torian has been with the Impressions more like 37 years! He joined them in early 1974

Yeah but he was like Ali Woodson & Dennis Edwards...he left, came back, left, came back......lol.......but I'm telling you he is as close to Curtis Mayfield as Damon Harris was to Eddie Kendricks, Sam and Fred sound even better.....they have a little skit in their show where they do "Superfly" amazing.......

I hope they keep this little number in their show, all things considered these guys are still amazing. After all these years they still bring it with an economy of moves and vocal excellence. I hope the sound system is straight and their performance better. Please let me know how the show was.....we saw Dennis Coffey last night and it was surreal.....

I just got back. I must be one of the first cos I live only 5 minutes away. They aer stil at the theatre siging autographs..there is a LONG queue of people still waiting.

It was a superb show. The place was busy with Impression fans, so we were all singing along. Starting off with Gypsy Woman, they did, Woman Got Soul, It's All Right, Keep On Pushing, I'm So Proud, People Get Ready, Can't Satisfy, Choice Of Colours..and more.....I'm still reeling from it.....oh and a great perfomance on Superfly. I really enjoyed myself.

I took some pictures and I will try to get someone to reduce them down in size for here.

BTW, Dennis Coffey is in London on 27 June, Irma Thomas on 24 July and George Clinton on 18 June.

Hi boyfromxtown,

I have just got home 55 minutes after you, you beat me to the punch!

Simply outstanding, spellbinding, undiminished and a polished performance form start to finish. The vocals were as perfect as any studio recording, they commanded the stage with their presence and professionalism, they gave a performance which I have rarely seen bettered in the hundreds of performances I have seen over the years. They gave superb renditions of so many songs from their history with Curtis, whose songs retain their beauty and strength after all this time. Reggie was superb in performing what were Curtis's leads, and Sam and Fred are still truly awesome. Their harmonising is flawless. The audience gave them a raptuous response throughout, culminating in demands for an encore which they met with a performance of Move On Up. This was a testimony that the soul tradition is alive and intact.

I must mention the Curtom Orchestra, who provided simply outstanding backing. Three horns, bass, drums, percussion, two guitars, music director on keys matched the power and the delicacy of the original recordings. How great to hear the brass, and fuzz and wah wah guitars all to the fore. I have to also recognise the excellent performances by the unannounced singer who kicked off the show with about four songs including If There's a Hell Below, Freddie's Dead, Give Me Your Love. He really did a very good job of emulating Curtis's vocals and again the band were terrific. I am curious as to whether the Curtom Orchestra is a pick up Orchestra from the UK, or an ensemble which came from the States, or a blend of the two. In any event , they were at the top of their game. And finally, a big round of applause for the sound man on the mixer desk who got the set up absolutely perfect! As we know, if he gets it wrong the whole show can be doomed from the outset.

Finally, I bumped into David Nathan who was as impressed as I was and told me he would be writing up a full review and posting on his website www.soulmusic.com imminently!

Well it looks like I was right after all.........lol......thanks for the review fellas.....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I am curious as to whether the Curtom Orchestra is a pick up Orchestra from the UK, or an ensemble which came from the States, or a blend of the two.
    UK pick up band, so to speak.

Wow, that band was sooooo goooood. Whilst they used charts, it was the deft feel and sensitivity that they delivered to give such authenticity. I guess the musical director was the key factor, surely he came with the Impressions? I noticed he added vocal support occasionally.

JM27, who was the unannounced singer who opened after the intermission?

I agree - an absolutely knock-out performance, with the Impressions in tip-top form. Those initial moments first hearing those voices and harmonies! Those great songs live! I'm overjoyed they did I'm So Proud, Choice Of Colours and This Is My Country. You've Been Cheatin' was a stormer! An immaculate night and one of the best live performances I've seen.

The band - as I understand it - was made up of musicians from various UK bands like the Brand New Heavies, JTQ etc. They too were superb.

If you live in, or near, Manchester go to the show tonight. You won't be disappointed!

Mike - I thought I saw David Nathan but didn't think it could have been because he lives in the States these days. Thanks for confirming it.

John - I was tempted to line up for autographs, but it indeed was a long queue and didn't want to buy any of the merchandise. [[I should have been prepared and brought along one of my own album sleeves!)

Alan

It was a L-O-N-G long queue. Mostly, people took their original albums, EP's and vinyl to be signed. I love being in that kind of company where guys are talking about the music. I was real happy to just hang around and be part of it.

I bought a t-shirt - it's my way of giving a bit back to the artists. They were selling some two-fers for £15 and a special UK tour CD at £45. I carry money like the Queen, very little!

I didn't see you there but then I only saw Keith Rylatt for about a minute at the beginning of the show and then never found him again at the break. It was real busy and that pleased me. Sam told me that it was the very first time they had performed in London, they'd been in London but not performed.

Weren't their voices just so SPOT ON. It was kind of eerie, I felt like I was teenager again until the woman next door knocked my walking stick!!! HAHA

Did you take any pictures, I did but I aint got a clue how to put them up here. I am told their size exceeds the limit.

Better yet......a good quality video of the opening songs on youtube....they are really good on this video, but believe me were even better in the flesh as the boy and Alan can confirm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqFUQOTAV14

That was real quick. I'm stil trying to handle a picture. But this is far better.

"Amen" was mentioned but it wasn't sung. But I guess some have to be omitted as there is so many to choose from.

Here's a nice audio interview with Fred Cash given to Jazz FM just prior to the show last night. He gives a very nice insight into their history and names the song which gave him the money to buy his first home!
    http://www.jazzfm.com/2011/06/the-im...ull-interview/
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 06-11-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Mike

Are you going to see Dennis Coffey and Irma Thomas? George Clinton is TOO funky for me.

Boy,

I'll be in South of France on Dennis and George dates. I would definitely have gone to see Dennis. George's concert would I suspect be a crescendo of noise for my ears. I love what I heard last night; it is exactly to my taste. I go to concerts to listen to the artists, and the Impressions concert ticked all the boxes, what with great harmonies, stage craft, sympathetic band and superb sound set up. Whilst I admire George, the concert will likely be an assault on my delicate senses. I don't dance, shout out, sing along, wave my hands in the air, blow whistles or like to hear artists drowned out by the audience. Just me, I guess....you can tell when I'm really happy 'cos I don't move an inch, just concentrate on what I'm hearing and seeing. Makes me a crushing bore for many, not their cup of tea at all!

I was hugely disappointed at the Whispers concert at the O2 with the sound set up. The Whispers and their band were not at fault; they are superb. However, where I was sat, left of centre in the balcony, all I heard was distortion to the max. Friends sat elsewhere said it sounded great, so maybe I was especially unlucky where I sat. The Indigo brags about its sound so I was unlucky that night perhaps.

Irma or Bettye? Or both? I am especially interested in hearing what Bettye's playlist is likely to be. I am a long time fan, love what she does, and appreciate her work over the years. I am less likely to go to a pure rendition of the Interpretations album. Just sayin..

Here's Reggie Torian Name:  impressions 002.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  72.9 KB

Phew, that photo worked after a lot of struggles! Some more to follow, I hope!

And here's Sam Name:  impressions 003.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  73.7 KB

And now Fred Name:  impressions 005.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  75.9 KB

And all three during the encore Name:  impressions 006.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  75.3 KB

And finally the 'meet the fans session' afterwards. Is John anywhere in that queue?! Name:  impressions 007.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  78.7 KB

And finally, finally don't forget that Peter Young is presenting a Curtis Special Soul Cellar on Jazz FM tonight at 5pm! [[10 mins time!)

and here's a 7 minute clip of the Curtom Orchestra featuring the unannounced singer who opened the Impressions show. The clip is not great quality, but if you are playing through a half decent speaker set up, you should get a good impression of just how outstanding the band was. Singer does a nice job too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk2sX0dF0Sc

But who was that singer? We were never told, although he appeared again on stage towards the end to play percussion with the band. But I agree - he was pretty good.

wonder_woman Guest
    WOW, WOW, WOW what a brilliant show last night, see I am in the audience photo posted superb all the way through, great venue & sound system, packed house, glad they got a great reception from the crowd, thoroughly deserved it, recognised most of the backing band from the Michael Henderson/Jean Carne concert earlier this year in Blackpool, just fantastic.

Alan

I am not in the photo. I struggle with a trapped nerve and can't stand up freestyle these days for too long so I was queueing round the corner and holding on to that pillar for fear of falling down!

This might have been at the latter part. I probably had left by then and posting on this thread! LOL

Alan

I admit I did look at that guy with grey hair but then dismissed it cos he had too much! LOL

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Alan

I am not in the photo. I struggle with a trapped nerve and can't stand up freestyle these days for too long so I was queueing round the corner and holding on to that pillar for fear of falling down!

This might have been at the latter part. I probably had left by then and posting on this thread! LOL
    I struggle with a trapped nerve, too. My Wife!
    Ot Oh....Here she comes now.
    All "Fee Fi Fo Fumming" all over the place!

Yeah but I bet you aint got grey hair too

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Boy,

I'll be in South of France on Dennis and George dates. I would definitely have gone to see Dennis. George's concert would I suspect be a crescendo of noise for my ears. I love what I heard last night; it is exactly to my taste. I go to concerts to listen to the artists, and the Impressions concert ticked all the boxes, what with great harmonies, stage craft, sympathetic band and superb sound set up. Whilst I admire George, the concert will likely be an assault on my delicate senses. I don't dance, shout out, sing along, wave my hands in the air, blow whistles or like to hear artists drowned out by the audience. Just me, I guess....you can tell when I'm really happy 'cos I don't move an inch, just concentrate on what I'm hearing and seeing. Makes me a crushing bore for many, not their cup of tea at all!

I was hugely disappointed at the Whispers concert at the O2 with the sound set up. The Whispers and their band were not at fault; they are superb. However, where I was sat, left of centre in the balcony, all I heard was distortion to the max. Friends sat elsewhere said it sounded great, so maybe I was especially unlucky where I sat. The Indigo brags about its sound so I was unlucky that night perhaps.

Irma or Bettye? Or both? I am especially interested in hearing what Bettye's playlist is likely to be. I am a long time fan, love what she does, and appreciate her work over the years. I am less likely to go to a pure rendition of the Interpretations album. Just sayin..
    South of France HA HA. I just got back from Montpellier. It's really hot there now and all that heat gets too much for me. I need my rain and cold days!

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    And finally, finally don't forget that Peter Young is presenting a Curtis Special Soul Cellar on Jazz FM tonight at 5pm! [[10 mins time!)
    Missed the first half hour...sadly

Give Me Your Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYVPU4jYpRc

The CURTOM ORCHESTRA LINE UP.... great pedigree

Nick Van Gelder - Musical Director/Drums [[ex Jamiroquai)
    Mazen Bedwei - Vocal
    Terry Lewis - Guitar [[Mamas Gun)
    Simon Bartholomew - Wah Guitar [[Brand New Heavies)
    Gary Crockett - Bass [[James Taylor Quartet)
    Dom Glover - Trumpet
    Nichol Thomson - Trumbone
    Andrew Ross - Sax / Flute
    Kofi Kari Kari - Percussions

I thought the sound was good and this was upstairs.

Amazing how these videos get on line so quickly

Thanks Mike, it's good to know who those great musicians were!

Here's the band rehearsing Mighty Mighty for the show...quite amusing, Simon Bartholomew of the Brand New Heavies on wah guitar is definitely having a good time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdXCQ...eature=related