Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
I think a 'missed opportunity' with The Marvelettes is the lack of an album by the group between 1963 & 1966. Motown could've put together a great LP by them featuring "Too Many Fish In The Sea", "I'll Keep Holding On" & "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead" with some of the songs that wound up in the vaults like "I Should've Known Better", "There Is No Tomorrow [[Only Tears And Sorrow)" & "Little Girls Grow Up".
I've wondered about that lack of an album for some years and I think Motown felt there was little percentage in drafting an album without a strong single to propel sales. "He's A Good Guy", "You're My Remedy" didn't do so well. "Too Many Fish" may have been a good hit but again not strong enough to spur sales.

The Marvelettes weren't the only ones who didn't get an album in '64. The Miracles too seemed to have hit a slump for awhile; there was an album that was put out, "I Like It Like That", but then withdrawn in the U.S. Marvin Gaye and even Martha & The Vandellas didn't get an LP in '64. I think Motown put all its money behind Brenda Holloway's album to capitalize on "Every Little Bit Hurts" and of course the Supremes, Four Tops and Tempts really broke out that year.

Motown had planned a Marvelettes Greatest Hits album for '64. Its catalog number would have placed it between Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits and Stevie Wonder At The Beach. I think it was actually a shrewd move that the album was "resurrected" in '66 using "Don't Mess With Bill" as the anchor. That was pretty much a sure bet for a best-selling album, capitalizing on the "rebirth" of the group.