[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I have to admit that I never understood the supposed big deal over the cover. While I do love the afros and sweater photos, I think the pink cover with all of the photos as well as the title NWBLS is just fine. It certainly didn't turn me off from buying the album. Just knowing that it was by one of my favorite groups was enough for me. Also, I believe my copy had a big sticker on it saying "this album features the hit single STONED LOVE" or something like that.
    i think the concern was that it was a bit to girly and sparkly looking as opposed to hip and relevant. cutesy and teeny bopper as opposed to mature and now

for a superstar group AND for having the full album version of Stoned Love, to only chart at Pop 68 and R&B 12 is a very poor showing. now part of this is certainly due to being released nearly at same time as Mag 7. plus during the past 12 months they'd released On Broadway, Cream, GH3, Farewell, RO and Mag 7. just too many albums

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think the concern was that it was a bit to girly and sparkly looking as opposed to hip and relevant. cutesy and teeny bopper as opposed to mature and now

for a superstar group AND for having the full album version of Stoned Love, to only chart at Pop 68 and R&B 12 is a very poor showing. now part of this is certainly due to being released nearly at same time as Mag 7. plus during the past 12 months they'd released On Broadway, Cream, GH3, Farewell, RO and Mag 7. just too many albums
    Diana suffered from that as well, with EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING being released while her debut was still selling. And released without a single for almost a year!

Perhaps NEW WAYS might have done better if they had released another single from it. Most of the girls' best selling albums from the 60s usually had at least two hits. But RIVER DEEP... came out and then I guess attention switched to that.