[REMOVE ADS]

VA - "The Apollo: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" [[Blue Note) 12/20/2019

THE APOLLO: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is the audio accompaniment to the HBO documentary released November 6. Helmed by Oscar® and Emmy®-winning director Roger Ross Williams, THE APOLLO chronicles the unique history and contemporary legacy of New York City's landmark Apollo Theater. The soundtrack album is produced by the film's music supervisors, Grammyr-nominated Dondi Bastone and TunesMap founder G. Marq Roswell, and mastered by Ian Sefchick at Capitol Studios.

Tracklist
    1. Kenneth J. Thompson, Apollo Greeter
    2. Charles Mingus "Take the 'A' Train"
    3. Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra "Memphis Blues"
    4. Marion J. Caffey - Interview Excerpt / Amateur Night Producer, The Apollo
    5. Ella Fitzgerald "How High the Moon"
    6. Duke Ellington & His Cotton Club Orchestra "Old Man Blues"
    7. Pearl Bailey "She's Something Spanish"
    8. Count Basie & His Orchestra "Jive at Five"
    9. Ted Fox - Interview Excerpt / Author, Showtime at The Apollo
    10. Billie Holiday "Strange Fruit"
    11. Mikki Shepard - Interview Excerpt / Former Executive Producer, The Apollo
    12. Marvin Gaye "What's Going On"
    13. Kamilah Forbes - Interview Excerpt / Executive Producer, The Apollo
    14. James Brown "Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud"
    15. Ta-Nehisi Coates - Interview Excerpt / Author, Between the World and Me
    16. Robert Glasper "Apollo As Home"
    17. Ted Fox - Interview Excerpt / Author, Showtime at The Apollo
    18. Gladys Knight & The Pips "Home Is Where the Heart Is"
    19. Robert Glasper "Mission Statement" - Featuring interview excerpts from Elinor Tatum, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, New York Amsterdam News; Kamilah Forbes, Executive Producer, The Apollo
    20. Johnny Hodges "Come Sunday"
    21. James Brown "Lost Someone [[Live at The Apollo)"
    22. Robert Glasper "Schiffman Cards" - Featuring interview excerpt from Elinor Tatum, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, New York Amsterdam News
    23. Jimmy Smith "T'aint No Use"
    24. Robert Glasper "Obama Returns to The Apollo" - Featuring interview excerpts from Lana Turner, Harlem Resident; Angela Bassett, Actress and Activist
    25. Aretha Franklin "Rock Steady"
    26. Kenny Burrell & Grover Washington, Jr. "Asphalt Canyon Blues"
    27. Etta James "Something's Got a Hold on Me"
    28. Robert Glasper "Harlem Riots"
    29. Dizzy Gillespie Octet "Duke's Last Soliloquy"
    30. Ta-Nehisi Coates and T. Griffin - From the staged reading of his book Between the World and Me, Apollo Theater, April 2018. Featuring Score by T. Griffin - Opening, The Apollo Theater
    31. Robert Glasper feat. Ledisi "Don't Turn Back Now"
    32. President Barack Obama at The Apollo Theater, January 19, 2012

Amazon US:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZLK68P4/?tag=imwan-20

Looking forward to seeing this!
    Name:  RLDKf8AIblnbhCgAu40eR2T5hKOb2y3T.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  57.2 KB

I saw the film a couple of weeks ago at a local film festival. It was very good, although I wished there more classic performance clips. They spent quite a bit of time on the recent performance at the theatre featuring the work of Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I saw the film a couple of weeks ago at a local film festival. It was very good, although I wished there more classic performance clips. They spent quite a bit of time on the recent performance at the theatre featuring the work of Ta-Nehisi Coates.
    I am glad to hear that there is video for the celebration of The Apollo Theater. I'm looking forward to seeing this on Blu Ray, or on some streamingideo. I agree with you on wanting more of the past than the present [[lol). It also made me wonder how many performances at the Apollo were ever captured on film or video. Just think of all the entertainers that stood on that stage at one time or another. Some of them were not even famous at that time.
    Last edited by mr_june; 11-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.

This is on HBO tonight at 9 p.m.

thatanyway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    It also made me wonder how many performances at the Apollo were ever captured on film or video. Just think of all the entertainers that stood on that stage at one time or another.

Yes... that's the question...

Many things come to mind. How Knoel Scott puts it here for example at the top of this interview where he also covers more things, and materia in relation to what he is saying about this and what it means.