Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
Thank you, RanRan. In The Hollands' Come And Get These Memories, in the chapter "Diana, Mary & Florence", Eddie Holland has a great account of the Where Did Our Love Go recording session. It was ultimately "the only time I have ever had friction with Diana. Because to me, she was a jewel...always inspirational.."
He confirms that it was he thought Mary's voice would be more suited for the song but both Brian and Lamont Dozier laughed and didn't think he was serious. They did agree to cut the track in a lower key. The main take-away I got from this is that Where Did Our Love Go was an important song, a serious concerted project to take the Supremes to the next level. It was not a trivial ditty meant for other artists at Motown.
I contacted my local library about this book a couple weeks ago for purchase. They hadn't bought it yet. I got an email last week saying it's on the way and expect to read it soon. Can't wait!

But HDH have been very vocal about their love of Diana Ross. I suspect that if they hated working with her there's no way they would've gotten ten number ones and additional smash hits and albums out of their collab with one another. Something would've been off and the stuff wouldn't have been so good.