[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mary on the right on lp

In supreme glamour which i love t death my supreme bible except f one or two errors. mary speaks of her joy and happiness over motown delivering t right on album w t flawless cover and gatefold poster. She says jean vocals on all t tracks was magical all t songs carried a universal theme she also states that even though other voices were used to fill out our sound we were still there. Which makes sense because t idea was to bring mary snd cindy back into t fold as singers unlike how they were not used or buried in t music from 67 through 69.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    In supreme glamour which i love t death my supreme bible except f one or two errors. mary speaks of her joy and happiness over motown delivering t right on album w t flawless cover and gatefold poster. She says jean vocals on all t tracks was magical all t songs carried a universal theme she also states that even though other voices were used to fill out our sound we were still there. Which makes sense because t idea was to bring mary snd cindy back into t fold as singers unlike how they were not used or buried in t music from 67 through 69.
    Fran that poster from "Right On" hung on the wall in our basement all throughout the 70s. My mom bought the album as soon as it came out.

I love that cover, but it's not flawless. Once someone pointed out to me the row of missing beads, I can't help but see it every single time I look at the cover. I can't believe that slipped through quality control. But otherwise, it certainly struck the right look at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I love that cover, but it's not flawless. Once someone pointed out to me the row of missing beads, I can't help but see it every single time I look at the cover. I can't believe that slipped through quality control. But otherwise, it certainly struck the right look at the right time.
    What, pray tell, are you referring to? I'm looking at the photo and on Jean's arm it looks like some of the spangles are missing. Is that it?

Maybe you have to be OCD to notice! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What, pray tell, are you referring to? I'm looking at the photo and on Jean's arm it looks like some of the spangles are missing. Is that it?

i never noticed that missing row of beads on jeans gown. How did that slip through did jean make a fuss about it. They should have had new gowns for t shot even t new red pant suits worn on t sullivan show would have sufficed.

I bought it t day after it came o ut and hung poster in my liviing room

i never noticed that missing row of beads on jeans gown. How did that slip through did jean make a fuss about it. They should have had new gowns for t shot even t new red pant suits worn on t sullivan show would have sufficed.
    I think that cover is a classic! It gives the vibe of "The New Supremes", because they look like a group again and not some big, enlarged head up front and three much smaller figures standing way back behind it! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think that cover is a classic! It gives the vibe of "The New Supremes", because they look like a group again and not some big, enlarged head up front and three much smaller figures standing way back behind it! LOL!
    marv i could not agree w u more thr gold gowns go great against t orange tone of t lp cover. I ju s t didnt notice t missing beads bfr but u have t look hard t notice. T makeup and hair are flawless hello

Well, I guess I'm embarrassed to admit that I noticed it back in the day and even more embarrassed to point out that if you look at the poster there are also beads missing from Mary's and Cindy's dresses. They do call them "uniforms" so maybe they are stripes to designate rank!

marv i could not agree w u more thr gold gowns go great against t orange tone of t lp cover. I ju s t didnt notice t missing beads bfr but u have t look hard t notice. T makeup and hair are flawless hello
    It just looks like they've been spread out. Jean was not a tooth pick. She was a small,but average sized woman.

After not hearing this album for such a very long time, these sounds so brilliant!

I never noticed the missing beads and cannot even be bothered to check my vinyl album. It is insignificant to me, but the music contained in the grooves was anything but insignificant. Right On is one of the most consistent Supremes of any era. Jean sounded fantastic, and there was not a weak track on the album. It was jam packed with potential hits and i don't think the 70's Supremes ever bettered it. Lovely album.

It just looks like they've been spread out. Jean was not a tooth pick. She was a small,but average sized woman.
    Oh Marv. You’re so deranged. Anything to bash Diana. Look at the second row of missing beads. You can see it starts 1/4 of the way across Jean’s arm. The point was a lack of quality control on the cover of the album and had nothing to do with “your precious”.

Oh Marv. You’re so deranged. Anything to bash Diana. Look at the second row of missing beads. You can see it starts 1/4 of the way across Jean’s arm. The point was a lack of quality control on the cover of the album and had nothing to do with “your precious”.
    You're worried about a few beads on a woman's arm and I'm deranged? LOL!!!

The album is great but the question is how much Mary Wilson is on the abum

hmmmm i do love the cover but i think it could have been better a while i noticed the missing beads, i'm thinking they could have done something a bit more modern

i think this should have been the back cover art. I guess we could still use the gold gowns for the front. they look so hip and modern. it would have also given them a new look. yes they still were in sequins but i think with the new member this more relevant 70s attire works great

Attachment 16323

i prefer this image for the poster. just find it more captivating. in color of course

Attachment 16324

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The album is great but the question is how much Mary Wilson is on the abum
    i believe mary is on most of the album tracks. some are just MJC, some are MJC plus andantes. and a couple might be just jean and andantes.

Hey I know how Marv goes after Diana at times, but how does his criticism of Jean's weight go to bashing Ross? I'm missing something.

Oh I get it now...referring to the "toothpick" is a swipe at Diane's thinness. Well she was the "skinny one," after all.

I loved this album from day one and still do. I don’t care who is on bg, the tracks are all solid and Jean totally nails every song. It was a relief and thrill to play a new Supremes album and not cringe at at least one cut. I bought it the day it came out and put the poster up on my door where the Greatest Hits paintings had been for three years. I hated that they wore the gold gowns, hated that they were in ill repair, hated that Jean’s was too small and hated she was wearing [[what I thought was) Diana’s old gown - I wanted a new identity for the group. Also, I agree the rust colored bg was an odd choice and Cindy’s hair looked like it just dropped out if the sky and landed on her head. With all of that, it’s the best set they did by far and I overlooked my annoyances with the cover.

lololol i'm getting visions of wild wigs flying through the air and dropping down lolol

Hey I know how Marv goes after Diana at times, but how does his criticism of Jean's weight go to bashing Ross? I'm missing something.

Oh I get it now...referring to the "toothpick" is a swipe at Diane's thinness. Well she was the "skinny one," after all.
    And completely and totally irrelevant to a conversation about 1.75 rows of missing beads, yet the opportunity to take a swipe is never left untaken. Therefore the assessment of "deranged". Maybe "obsessed" is a better word? Not sure.

the music on RO is amazingly solid. amazing because 1) it's motown and they were notorious for dumping at least 1 idiotic track onto an lp and 2) so many different producers worked on the 12 tracks

a year or so ago, George chimed in with an alt lineup. Everybody was recorded, literally, just days before the album release and so it was a very last minute addition. the alt lineup was:

Ladder
    then we can try
    the day will come between S and M
    Wait a minute
    You move me
    but i love you more

I got hurt
    Steppin on a dream
    Take a closer look
    Then i met u
    life beats
    loving country

there are a LOT of great songs prepared at this time. Steppin is wonderful, Life beats. Also from New Ways, Na Na, Thank Him for today, Is there a place, I wish i was ur mirror, Time to break down and come together.

frankly with the first 3 lps and the unreleased material PRIOR to the Promises Kept stuff, the only song i really don't care for is Time and Love. and one of my biggest issues is it being place on Touch. seems so out of place there. but perhaps on NW or RO.

anyway, this was a wildly prolific period for the Supremes!!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i believe mary is on most of the album tracks. some are just MJC, some are MJC plus andantes. and a couple might be just jean and andantes.
    Jean told me that she recorded many of the tracks for Right On without Mary and Cindy, and some of the songs on New Ways as well. She couldn't recall specific tracks. She said she recorded many songs that went unreleased. I guess George and Andy would be the best ones to ask regarding just how many Jean led tracks remain in the vaults.

well she would have recorded lead vocals without them. typically the schedules for lead recordings were totally different from backgrounds, rarely on the same day.

for instance, I Got Hurt Trying...

the dates we know include:
    12/31 recording [[not sure what was recorded this day, perhaps instrumental)
    1/15 lead vocals
    1/16 additional lead vocals
    1/21 backgrounds
    1/25 backgrounds rerecorded

So were M and C on 21? or 25? or was it MJC? or only andantes?

then Loving Country was:
    1/10 lead
    1/18 additional lead
    1/23 backgrounds
    1/27 additional bg

so it's hard to tell exactly who was doing the singing

well she would have recorded lead vocals without them. typically the schedules for lead recordings were totally different from backgrounds, rarely on the same day.

for instance, I Got Hurt Trying...

the dates we know include:
    12/31 recording [[not sure what was recorded this day, perhaps instrumental)
    1/15 lead vocals
    1/16 additional lead vocals
    1/21 backgrounds
    1/25 backgrounds rerecorded

So were M and C on 21? or 25? or was it MJC? or only andantes?

then Loving Country was:
    1/10 lead
    1/18 additional lead
    1/23 backgrounds
    1/27 additional bg

so it's hard to tell exactly who was doing the singing
    Exactly. The lead singer may not even know who sang backgrounds during the following recording session or may not have known if other voices were blended in after the backgrounds in follow up sessions. The best source is what's on the session cards, if they were kept or even existed in the first place.

Some people need pictures to understand a point being made. I never mentioned Diana Ross, but since you did:

Attachment 16325

One interesting feature [[at least to me) of the photo shoot for the album's front/back cover and poster was the placement of each Supremes.
    Although Jean was the new lead, Cindy seems to be the featured member: front= Cindy low center; back= Cindy high center; poster= Cindy front position.
    In the case of Jean, she's in position 1, 3, 3; Mary -3, 1, 2. Perhaps, Cindy may have asked to be camouflaged slightly for the frontal poses, but was willing to be in the first position for the sideways shot.

He's got something that makes him want to turn everything into and issue or some type of argument. All I can say is RELAX!

those DR pics were also taken with a wide-angle lens so it further distorted her already thin, angular frame.

but you are correct. Diana was a twig. was not the voluptuous body type or image.

and just like people fat-shame, we should not thin-shame. did Diana Ross have t&a? no but why should she? a different body type and she was also at times suffering through eating disorders which is nothing to shame or laugh at.

a person's struggles should not be used a weapon against them

Some people need pictures to understand a point being made. I never mentioned Diana Ross, but since you did:

Attachment 16325
    Thanks, Marv, for demonstrating that God makes people of different sizes and shapes. I don't know the size, shape, age, etc. of those who post here, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that we'd find considerable disparity were we each to post photos of ourselves old & current here.
    And as we all know, what makes a person who and what she/he is so much more intricate and fascinating than the mere size and shape of their bodies,

those DR pics were also taken with a wide-angle lens so it further distorted her already thin, angular frame.

but you are correct. Diana was a twig. was not the voluptuous body type or image.

and just like people fat-shame, we should not thin-shame. did Diana Ross have t&a? no but why should she? a different body type and she was also at times suffering through eating disorders which is nothing to shame or laugh at.

a person's struggles should not be used a weapon against them
    Maybe because he's an a-hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Jean told me that she recorded many of the tracks for Right On without Mary and Cindy, and some of the songs on New Ways as well. She couldn't recall specific tracks. She said she recorded many songs that went unreleased. I guess George and Andy would be the best ones to ask regarding just how many Jean led tracks remain in the vaults.
    There's a great audio interview with Jean where the interviewer asks if Mary sang the high notes on TLC. Jean just busts out laughing. It's priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Thanks, Marv, for demonstrating that God makes people of different sizes and shapes. I don't know the size, shape, age, etc. of those who post here, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that we'd find considerable disparity were we each to post photos of ourselves old & current here.
    And as we all know, what makes a person who and what she/he is so much more intricate and fascinating than the mere size and shape of their bodies,
    I do like Freda, but if we're going full-on tit-for-tat, given the lifelong careers of the two I certainly far prefer Diana's tat [[as do the public, by a massive and exponential multiplier).

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    There's a great audio interview with Jean where the interviewer asks if Mary sang the high notes on TLC. Jean just busts out laughing. It's priceless.
    another fan [[maybe Bayou?) mentioned that on many of the 70s songs Jean did join M and C doing backgrounds and she would often sing the 1st soprano line while Cindy did 2nd. and of course Mary was alto.

On loving country its POSSIBLE that's Cindy the high note in the intro section, it sort of sounds like her. obviously not mary lolol [[regardless of whatever jabs Midnight was poking at mary in the interview hehehe) It doesn't sound like an Andante to me.

On Stoned Love when the bgs do that marvelous woo-hooo after Jean sing "i pray peace and love Amen" that's Jean on the top note there.

the layered vocals that Frank did were stunning, although makes it impossible to replicate live. and it's super hard to tell if he used multiple tracks of MJC or if some are andantes or what. Like This Is The Story and Touch there are 3, 4 or even 5 lines going one. hard to identify for certain which is which

He's got something that makes him want to turn everything into and issue or some type of argument. All I can say is RELAX!
    That's funny, coming from you.

another fan [[maybe Bayou?) mentioned that on many of the 70s songs Jean did join M and C doing backgrounds and she would often sing the 1st soprano line while Cindy did 2nd. and of course Mary was alto.

On loving country its POSSIBLE that's Cindy the high note in the intro section, it sort of sounds like her. obviously not mary lolol [[regardless of whatever jabs Midnight was poking at mary in the interview hehehe) It doesn't sound like an Andante to me.

On Stoned Love when the bgs do that marvelous woo-hooo after Jean sing "i pray peace and love Amen" that's Jean on the top note there.

the layered vocals that Frank did were stunning, although makes it impossible to replicate live. and it's super hard to tell if he used multiple tracks of MJC or if some are andantes or what. Like This Is The Story and Touch there are 3, 4 or even 5 lines going one. hard to identify for certain which is which
    Agreed all around; it was the interviewer's opinion that it was probably Cindy. Yes, those layered vocals are stunning and Frank Wilson does all the ladies proud. I've always wondered - was their a vocal arranger at Motown, or was that part of production also handled by the producer of note?

i'm thinking it was the producer. he [[or the occasional she) would teach the girls their parts, lead them through the recording sessions, push them to give a different approach or sound

in terms of arranging the actual harmony lines, that might be a combination of producers and arrangers. even composers.

if the producer had the song-writing abilities, they might do it. but they might ask an arranger to actually write out the 3-part harmony

That's funny, coming from you.
    Good, that means you know how to laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    No, the point I was making was this guy just jumped up and assumed I was jabbing at Diana Ross when I said "Jean was not a tooth pick" as if Diana Ross was not skinny. My eyes nor yours are lying....she was skinny. She's even poked fun at herself for being skinny. Why do some people worship this woman who is just a singer and cannot tell any truths , even those that are irrefutable about her? It's like they are looking for something, anything to jump on. It is ridiculous LOL!

I do like Freda, but if we're going full-on tit-for-tat, given the lifelong careers of the two I certainly far prefer Diana's tat [[as do the public, by a massive and exponential multiplier).
    I'd rather have FREDA [[at that age).......than Diane's "career" hehehehehehehehe!

Attachment 16325
    Okay, okay, but even though she was quite thin, I don't think it's fair to compare these two photos. After all, Ross was made up for the very unusual and striking album cover. So I say, this is comparing apples to oranges.

This is one of my favorite photos of Ross at her most glam, and a more fair comparison!

Name:  R-3540792-1334501058.jpeg[[1).jpg
Views: 939
Size:  50.7 KB

In fact all three of the girls look fabulous in this photo, and I like the look, the way the dresses complement each other but are not identical. I think it gives them a more sophisticated, current image. I'm sure some would object to Diane's gown obviously being chosen so that she'll be the first one people will notice but she was the lead singer after all.
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-09-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Okay, okay, but even though she was quite thin, I don't think it's fair to compare these two photos. After all, Ross was made up for the very unusual and striking album cover. So I say, this is comparing apples to oranges.

This is one of my favorite photos of Ross at her most glam, and a more fair comparison!

In fact all three of the girls look fabulous in this photo, and I like the look, the way the dresses complement each other but are not identical. I think it gives them a more sophisticated, current image. I'm sure some would object to Diane's gown obviously being chosen so that she'll be the first one people will notice but she was the lead singer after all.
    It doesn't matter how they made her up, she would never, ever come to the level of the sexy,beautiful woman Freda Payne was and is! There is not enough make up and horse hair weaves in the World that can do that! I supposed they made her body up too? How about her big head?

It doesn't matter how they made her up, she would never, ever come to the level of the sexy,beautiful woman Freda Payne was and is! There is not enough make up and horse hair weaves in the World that can do that! I supposed they made her body up too? How about her big head?
    Do you ever stop bitching? You must be such a sad lonely wretched individual if this is the only way you can bring any "excitement" to your pathetic existence. Get a life you sad sad man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Do you ever stop bitching? You must be such a sad lonely wretched individual if this is the only way you can bring any "excitement" to your pathetic existence. Get a life you sad sad man.
    With Wilson's insta-bomb from DWTS he/they are back into full djt 'fake news' mode.

That is a great picture, Kenneth! I don't think I've seen it before. Yes, all 3 ladies look GORG!! Best to you -
    T

That is a great picture, Kenneth! I don't think I've seen it before. Yes, all 3 ladies look GORG!! Best to you -
    T
    Thanks P&H,

I like Marv and he has lots of valuable insights into topics on SDF, and what seems to be a huge storehouse of photos and other interesting memorabilia. I occasionally try to poke fun or tease him out of his terrible and negative obsession with Diane's celebrity status, but I guess it was a mistake this time. His response was very sad and disappointing. Her "big head?" In my experience, lots of celebrities seem to have big heads, probably because they're usually not very tall people and often thinner than the average person. I don't know, I'm no expert, but attacking someone on things they can't help is a sad way to behave and reminiscent of our Insulter-in-Chief.

Marv is of course entitled to his opinion, but I apologize for pushing him on this one. I should have known better! [[Hey, sounds like a good title for an unearthed Marvelettes track!)

K

Thanks P&H,

I like Marv and he has lots of valuable insights into topics on SDF, and what seems to be a huge storehouse of photos and other interesting memorabilia. I occasionally try to poke fun or tease him out of his terrible and negative obsession with Diane's celebrity status, but I guess it was a mistake this time. His response was very sad and disappointing. Her "big head?" In my experience, lots of celebrities seem to have big heads, probably because they're usually not very tall people and often thinner than the average person. I don't know, I'm no expert, but attacking someone on things they can't help is a sad way to behave and reminiscent of our Insulter-in-Chief.

Marv is of course entitled to his opinion, but I apologize for pushing him on this one. I should have known better! [[Hey, sounds like a good title for an unearthed Marvelettes track!)

K
    You have nothing to apologize for.

I recall an interview with Diana where she laughingly recalled getting big headed at some point in career; and of course she did! Who brings 700000 people to Central Park, has 18 Number 1 records and an Academy Award Nomination at 28?

Someone that talks like that doesn’t have a big head which might be what the reference is too.

Much better that than having and acting like a big butted Bertha!, like......,,fill in our blank

T
    Yes I have this CD [[somewhere) and I remember the TV show that the Supremes were on when they did this. I believe it was Mary that said they had started to use their street clothes and the time was getting close to when Diana would leave. If I am not mistaken becasuse I am not that good at the same gowns, I think this was the same gown on the back cover of her first LP.

Or at least it looks like the same one.Name:  download.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  5.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by captainjames; 10-11-2019 at 12:12 PM.

this pic of DMC was from the opening number they performed on their final Hollywood Palace appearance. They're singing the medley from Hair which included Where Do I Go & Good Morning Starshine.

And yes, that's a solo gown for Diana. and yes again she wore on the back of her debut album art.

Later in the show they lip synced Someday while wearing the orange pantsuits.