[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Mary Wilson &The Supremes' transformation from girls next door to global superstars

    Nice picture of Mary, Jean and Cindy:

    https://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_...al-superstars/

  2. #2
    Very nice to see a pic of the Supremes In the 70s. Mary has a very full life!

  3. #3
    Yes it is. I always like it when they acknowledge the Supremes after 1970.

  4. #4
    Oh, it was Mary who came up with the 'no hit Supremes' was it? lol

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Oh, it was Mary who came up with the 'no hit Supremes' was it? lol
    That all depends upon which side of the bed Mary gets out of. She used to say it was a name made up by some people at Motown, but now she often claims it was her who came up with the name! Go figure. It is difficult to believe anything that comes out of this woman's mouth.
    Mary, Mary quite contrary. Or should that be Mary, Mary very contrary.

  6. #6
    Why does that story keep changing???

    I doubt Mary came up with that herself. Lol

  7. #7
    I believe Mary is telling the truth now about the origins of "no hit Supremes". An interesting revelation too, because for the first time she has publicly admitted that there were things in her first book (and probably the second) which were conjured up to make a great story but were not based on facts. The "no hit Supremes" moniker never made much sense to me considering that the Supremes were far from the only acts on the label at the time that had a handful of releases but no hits. Why single them out? Because it never actually happened. The weird thing is that after the book other folks at Motown have referred to the nickname as if it was commonplace. Go figure.

  8. #8
    To be fair, that could be correct. For its first five years, only the Miracles, Marvelettes, Mary Wells, Marvin Gaye and Martha and the Vandellas made waves. Other groups like the Supremes (considered the "girls" of the company) and Temptations struggled for a while as did other acts (Stevie, etc.).

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That all depends upon which side of the bed Mary gets out of.
    Yes, i'd never heard Mary claiming it was her creation before.

    I was just reading Tony Turner's 'All That Glitters' book where he claimed she told Jean Terrell she had chosen the Supremes name.

  10. #10
    Tony Turner... Jesus Christ on a sausage! That was one messy queen...

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I believe Mary is telling the truth now about the origins of "no hit Supremes". An interesting revelation too, because for the first time she has publicly admitted that there were things in her first book (and probably the second) which were conjured up to make a great story but were not based on facts. The "no hit Supremes" moniker never made much sense to me considering that the Supremes were far from the only acts on the label at the time that had a handful of releases but no hits. Why single them out? Because it never actually happened. The weird thing is that after the book other folks at Motown have referred to the nickname as if it was commonplace. Go figure.
    I have a 1977 Diana concert program and I can almost swear that the No-Hit Supremes moniker was used in it. I'll have to dig it out and see. The 1974 Anthology booklet may use it as well.
    Last edited by reese; 10-08-2019 at 08:48 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I have a 1977 Diana concert program and I can almost swear that the No-Hit Supremes moniker was used in it. I'll have to dig it out and see. The 1974 Anthology booklet may use it as well.
    Okay this is getting interesting!!!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Okay this is getting interesting!!!
    I was wrong. I wasn't able to look at my 1977 program (too much stuff to wade through) but I did look at the 1974 ANTHOLOGY booklet and there's no mention of the "No-Hit Supremes."

    However, the term is used a couple of times in J. Randy's book DIANA from 1985.

  14. #14
    I think Mary meant that she coined the term "The No-Hits Supremes" back in the days when they were not getting hits; mentioned out loud around Motown and the others started calling them that as well.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think Mary meant that she coined the term "The No-Hits Supremes" back in the days when they were not getting hits; mentioned out loud around Motown and the others started calling them that as well.
    Oh is that how it happened. Thank you for the clarification. Case closed.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I was wrong. I wasn't able to look at my 1977 program (too much stuff to wade through) but I did look at the 1974 ANTHOLOGY booklet and there's no mention of the "No-Hit Supremes."

    However, the term is used a couple of times in J. Randy's book DIANA from 1985.
    Oh okay. Thanks for that. I never ever heard a DR or Flo interview where they mentioned having any nickname.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Oh okay. Thanks for that. I never ever heard a DR or Flo interview where they mentioned having any nickname.
    can't remember - did Diana mention it in Secrets? guessing not since she was so vague and elusive with any significant details of the Supremes era.

    here's a fan challenge:

    can we try and pinpoint the FIRST time this term was revealed to fans/public? was it Randy's Diana Ross book from 83 or so (the one prior to CHMR)? That book seems to be one of the first on the group, outside of the silly motown booklets in album sets like Farewell and Anthology

  18. #18
    I have to read her book. It's on Archive and available rn.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think Mary meant that she coined the term "The No-Hits Supremes" back in the days when they were not getting hits; mentioned out loud around Motown and the others started calling them that as well.
    You might be right and my interpretation of what she said was wrong. Mary coining it is definitely a possibility.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    can't remember - did Diana mention it in Secrets? guessing not since she was so vague and elusive with any significant details of the Supremes era.

    here's a fan challenge:

    can we try and pinpoint the FIRST time this term was revealed to fans/public? was it Randy's Diana Ross book from 83 or so (the one prior to CHMR)? That book seems to be one of the first on the group, outside of the silly motown booklets in album sets like Farewell and Anthology
    I couldn't find it in SECRETS but Diana did use the term in her 1989 "Timepiece" tour program.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.