[REMOVE ADS]

Visiting New York

I am visiting New York in a few months and would appreciate any info regards any decent record shops etc I have a few but would appreciate any local info
    many thanks
    mel

Just take any of the letter trains downtown to West 4th Street in the village. When you get out of the subway, veer to your right and should see House Of Oldies on Carmine St.. Right across the street is another record store who's name escapes me. Then walk back in the direction of the train station you came out of, then cross the street. Go down the street in front of you [[ you will see some people playing basketball to your left). Once you walk down that street, Bleeker Bob's is on your right. Go down that same street for two more blocks and make right. Generation Records should be on your left.

To be continued....

smark21 Guest
    Also take the L Train to the first stop in Brooklyn, Bedford Avenue. There's some street vendors selling old vinyl and I believe there's a couple of "boutique" type places that sell vinyl along with other merchandise in this hipster infested section of Williamsburg.

The street vendors will surprise you sometimes.
    There's a record convention that is held in Manhattan every month at a hotel on 57th street on the west side. Maybe your trip will coincide with the convention.

go to st marks place east village a few record shops down there.chack with a new yorker 1st some might have shut,i was last there 2005.
    they have a jumble sale on 6th ave about 31st street level in a church yard.
    on sunday mornings there used to be a carboot type sale somewhere 'round the upper east side.
    check with some of the locals on here tho'
    when you get there phone this number [[212)427-8435,joey barbosa.he had a load of stuff,quite cheap.i was very happy with the stuff he sold me.he rented a pitch outside a record shop on st marks place but if the phones still good you might be able to arrange a meet or at least quiz him on what he has.
    are you staying in a hotel?

Many thanks for all your help timmyfunk I will check out the links and info you have given me much appreciated
    mel

Great stuff smark
    old vinyl is what I am looking for and ya just never know what you might find
    many thanks for your time
    mel

Great stuff tamla617
    and thanks for the telephone number I will certainly check it out
    were looking at staying in a hotel near central park
    mel

mel
    depending on your budgets,i can recomend the hotel pennsylvania,right opposite pennsyl.central station,[[that connects directly from jfk and la guadia airports i'm sure)7th ave and 33rd st its the hotel in glen miller's pennsyvania 65000 [[thats their phone number!)you're in the middle of everything,time square a short walk and broadway.if you're there on a sunday go to BB KINGS blues bar. 237 WEST42ND ST.harlem gospel choir do a show every sunday lunch.they are brilliant and you get a buffet type lunch,which is good.like all things ring and check 1st,they might not be on,but something will be.and BOOK i bought tickets on line.its popular and they'll sell out!
    get the latest edition of the AA POCKET GUIDE TO NEW YORK smiths or ottakars,its very good its got record shops,car boots,jumble sales,all the phone numbers,maps.and it fits in your pocket!i used that in conjunction with the internet to absolutely nail everything down before i left,worked like a dream!

HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA LINK

http://www.hotelpenn.com/?gclid=CN2Q...FchO4Qod4hBVAQ

BB KING'S BLUES BAR LINK

http://www.bbkingblues.com/
    Last edited by tamla617; 03-06-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Mel

The YMCA is where I go...you have access to the gym, a cheap restaurant which has cheap and decent food.

Enjoy

Many thanks for that tamla
    we are staying at the hotel new yorker and i forgot about bb kings place thanks forthat we will be checking that out
    thank you for all your help
    mel

boy from x town
    cheers for that always good to know
    much appreciated
    mel

enjoy the trip
    i love ny