Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
I bet Quincy was a bigger possibility at RCA than Motown. I suspect that, given the success of "Endless Love" and the commercial potential of "Dreaming Of You", had Diana remained with Motown, Lionel might have been given the opportunity to take on the next album. I think Lionel would have had a great read on how best to couple Diana and his compositions. No doubt in my mind that a Lionel produced Diana project would have given her some immediate classics.
i don't disagree that Lionel would have most likely had a chance to work with Diana. but given his songs and style, is it really all that different from her work with Masser? I would have been interested in a full Masser album just to hear how he might have done some non-ballad things. So much of his work with DR is heart-wrenching ballads. Sure Last Time, No One's Gonna be and Together are a bit more uptempo.

After the amazing heights of The Boss lp and the urban hipness of diana 80, the lush Masser work fit the bill. and Endless Love continued this. But it was a new decade and the sounds that were about to emerge with the Brit Invasion, Madonna, rap and heavier r&b, would have meant she needed something new and fresh pretty quickly