Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
I am in total agreement Sotosound. Your observations regarding the Bee Gees are also spot on.
"Chain Reaction" is the perfect pop record and more than deserved it's international [[bar usa) success. More of this would have been nice.
I do partly agree with marv in that during those rca years Diana seldom had her finger on the button as regards music trends and the type of music her fans craved for.
But you cannot just disregard the USA, the largest market for popular music. Diana Ross even performed "Chain Reaction" and "Eaten Alive" on The American Music Awards, which is nationally televised and still both records bombed. Same thing happened a few years later when she was promoting her "Take Me Higher" album during the half time show of the Super Bowl. The album and all singles flopped in the U.S. The Super Bowl as a platform and they still did not sell? OMG!

Wasn't her hour long, network television special "Red Hot Rhythm & Blues" used as a vehicle to promote her then current album? With that kind of exposure and it still bombed in America? It should tell you something.