[REMOVE ADS]

VA-"Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Volume 5" [[Kent UK) [[10/25/2019)

Description
    15 years on from both Dave Godin's passing and his fourth volume of Deep Soul Treasures, Kent has compiled a further 25 tracks using titles chosen by Dave for future projects in the series. Many are recordings he wanted from day one of the Treasures concept, but licensing quirks made them unavailable until now. The Emotions' Somebody New, Helena Ferguson's Where Is The Party, George Jackson's My Desires Are Getting The Best Of Me and others are tracks he had wanted to include from the outset. As usual there is an Eddie & Ernie offering and a release associated with Larry Banks and his musical family's work; Larry's nephew has contributed the note. The Banks track is actually previously unreleased; Kenny Carter's reading of I'm Not The One which he wrote with Larry Banks and recorded first. It was shelved when his LP project fell through and Larry's version was later issued on Kapp and featured on the first Treasures CD. Licensing hurdles were cleared with regard to Big Maybelle, an artist Dave always adored and got to meet at the Soul City headquarters. It is also the first time that Esther Phillips, James Carr, Barbara Lynn and Linda Jones feature; all favourites of his. Always a champion of the oddball, he raved about the Soul City's cover of Gladys Knight's Who Knows, just as he did with the Zilla Mays and Ronnie Taylor tracks. They did not have extensive recording careers but hit the pinnacle for Dave on these specific offerings. There is a fine balance of male/female and solo/group acts, reflecting Dave's admiration for all styles of soul music. The Chantels 1958 single Every Night is the earliest recording he ever chose [[by some three years), but he heard deep soul in its impassioned vocal and it also reflects his love of black music from the pre-soul years. The booklet is enhanced by an extensive interview Dave gave to Jon Savage in the 90s; Jon also writes an introduction. Where relevant, Dave's words, mainly from the pages of Blues & Soul magazines of the time, are used in relation to the recording. Guest writers of the calibre and experience of Stuart Cosgrove, Sean Hampsey, David Nathan, Tony Rounce, Richard Searling, Richard Williams and others pen descriptions of the tracks often with reference to Dave s championing of them.

Tracklist to be announced.

Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JE6QW2/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001JE6QW2/?tag=imwan-21

ordered....the previous CDs are outstanding.

I remember Dave very well and his judgement and brilliance of expression live on

Tracklist for Dave Godin's Deep Soul Trasures Vol. 3:

1. Who Knows - The Soul City
    2. Without Love - Ronnie Taylor
    3. Don't Pass Me By - Big Maybelle
    4. Where Is The Party - Helena Ferguson
    5. Dead! - Carolyn Sullivan
    6. Home Is Where The Hatred Is - Esther Phillips
    7. I Ain't Got To Love Nobody Else - The Masqueraders
    8. I'll Be Right There [[To Make Love To You) - Mark IV
    9. I'm Not The One - Kenny Carter
    10. Somebody New - The Emotions
    11. [[Until Then) I'll Suffer - Barbara Lynn
    12. Foolish Fool - Dee Dee Warwick
    13. My Desires Are Getting The Best Of Me - George Jackson
    14. These Ain't Raindrops - James Carr
    15. Standing At The Crossroads - Eddie & Ernie
    16. Can't Last Much Longer - Betty Harris
    17. Lovers Always Forgive - Gladys Knight
    18. Every Night [[I Pray) - The Chantels
    19. Satisfaction Guaranteed - Judy White
    20. Right Here Is Where You Belong - Jerry Washington
    21. I Will - Lattimore Brown
    22. It's Too Late [[For Tears) - René Bailey
    23. All I Want Is You - Zilla Mayes
    24. What Can I Do [[Without You) - Linda Jones
    25. Nothing Can Change The Love I Have For You - Z Z Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Tracklist for Dave Godin's Deep Soul Trasures Vol. 3:

1. Who Knows - The Soul City
    2. Without Love - Ronnie Taylor
    3. Don't Pass Me By - Big Maybelle
    4. Where Is The Party - Helena Ferguson
    5. Dead! - Carolyn Sullivan
    6. Home Is Where The Hatred Is - Esther Phillips
    7. I Ain't Got To Love Nobody Else - The Masqueraders
    8. I'll Be Right There [[To Make Love To You) - Mark IV
    9. I'm Not The One - Kenny Carter
    10. Somebody New - The Emotions
    11. [[Until Then) I'll Suffer - Barbara Lynn
    12. Foolish Fool - Dee Dee Warwick
    13. My Desires Are Getting The Best Of Me - George Jackson
    14. These Ain't Raindrops - James Carr
    15. Standing At The Crossroads - Eddie & Ernie
    16. Can't Last Much Longer - Betty Harris
    17. Lovers Always Forgive - Gladys Knight
    18. Every Night [[I Pray) - The Chantels
    19. Satisfaction Guaranteed - Judy White
    20. Right Here Is Where You Belong - Jerry Washington
    21. I Will - Lattimore Brown
    22. It's Too Late [[For Tears) - René Bailey
    23. All I Want Is You - Zilla Mayes
    24. What Can I Do [[Without You) - Linda Jones
    25. Nothing Can Change The Love I Have For You - Z Z Hill

This will be another essential collection Eddie. I am glad Kent have finally managed to get the many licensing issues resolved. Knowing Dave as i did i am sure he will be looking down proudly. It has been a long time coming, but it will have been well worth the wait. Thank you to everyone else involved in this wonderful series.

The tracks I already know on this are wonderful. I'm looking forward this release.

It's a bit of a mish-mash! Some really great tracks but also some that are pretty mediocre! All are on YT except 'I'm Not The One' - Kenny Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    It's a bit of a mish-mash! Some really great tracks but also some that are pretty mediocre! All are on YT except 'I'm Not The One' - Kenny Carter.
    Perhaps we need to hear them several times before we pass opinion Copley. I think i shall await the cd and play it maybe half a dozen times.
    Just out of interest which of the songs do you regard as being mediocre? Perhaps i will agree with you when i have let the songs seep into my soul, but i would be interested to hear your views. Thank you in advance.