[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And, given the bad blood between Phil Spector and DJ's in the US explains why they wouldn't give any air play to Ike & Tina's "River Deep - Mountain High" when it first came out in 1966 [[however, airplay was No Problem for The Righteous Bros. hit "You're My Soul And Inspiration" which Righteous Brother Bill Medley produced in Spector's "Wall Of Sound" style).
    Yes, Eddie, that's true. That's all a part of why "River Deep" got no airplay here in the U.S. When it came to the Righteous Brothers, however, Phil got plenty of radio airplay for each of their Philles singles except for the last one -- "The White Cliffs Of Dover" which was a shame, as I especially love that record. By then, however, the RB had left Philles for Verve Records [[while still under contract to Philles) which was another headache Phil had to deal with. For whatever reason, the young, defiant DJ's were out to destroy Phil during his girl-group era, not the RB. Go figure.

You're right, Bill Medley had become quite the producer himself. He studied Phil's recording techniques closely and became quite adept at duplicating the Wall Of Sound. A good example is the track "See That Girl" on the RB's "Just Once In My Life" LP. You would swear that Phil produced that one, but he didn't. That one was all Bill's.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yes, Eddie, that's true. That's all a part of why "River Deep" got no airplay here in the U.S. When it came to the Righteous Brothers, however, Phil got plenty of radio airplay for each of their Philles singles except for the last one -- "The White Cliffs Of Dover" which was a shame, as I especially love that record. By then, however, the RB had left Philles for Verve Records [[while still under contract to Philles) which was another headache Phil had to deal with. For whatever reason, the young, defiant DJ's were out to destroy Phil during his girl-group era, not the RB. Go figure.

You're right, Bill Medley had become quite the producer himself. He studied Phil's recording techniques closely and became quite adept at duplicating the Wall Of Sound. A good example is the track "See That Girl" on the RB's "Just Once In My Life" LP. You would swear that Phil produced that one, but he didn't. That one was all Bill's.
    You're so right about that Philles/Motown Gary. We can't forget The Righteous Bros. career making smash "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" [[and the follow ups). And yes, "See That Girl" is a great song [[and shows that Bill Medley could produce that "Wall Of Sound" just as well as Phil Spector could).