[REMOVE ADS]

Lady Sings The Blues

"Lady Sings The Blues" seems to be getting really crappy treatment on the home video market. It took years for this film to even be released on DVD. While that version is still available it's still not available to stream online anywhere [[at least not legally). The film could really use an upgrade. I'm hoping that someone at Paramount takes the time to consider a hi-def restoration of the film, and even if they don't release a blu ray themselves they can always license it out to a boutique label like Twilight Time, Kino Lorber or Criterion.

I agree. The 2005 release, while welcome and long overdue with its deleted scenes, commentary track, and bonus features, was conspicuously missing the original 1972 featurette and trailer, for instance. Has anyone gotten a copy of the 2017 re-release I'm seeing everywhere online? Is it even official? Does it contain anything different from the 2005 release?
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I agree. The 2005 release, while welcome and long overdue with its deleted scenes. commentary track, and bonus features, was conspicuously missing the original 1972 featurette and trailer, for instance. Has anyone gotten a copy of the 2017 re-release I'm seeing everywhere online? Is it even official? Does it contain anything different from the 2005 release?
    Paramount did re-release "Lady" along with "Mahogany" in 2017 as a DVD double feature on 1 disc. The problem with that is when you compress two movies onto a single disc like that the films lose sound and image quality. I don't get why they did this and not just issue both films seperately on blu-ray.

Last edited by LoveSupreme; 09-02-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Single disc??!? Ewww. Fierce cover design, though.

I was actually referring to this baby, which I wasn't aware existed until last night:

https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Sings-Bl...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I was actually referring to this baby, which I wasn't aware existed until last night:

That. Cover. Alone. Redefines 'OMG'.

That's a re-release of the 2005 version. Amazon uploaded the incorrect artwork. That artwork is from a previous VHS release from the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    That's a re-release of the 2005 version. Amazon uploaded the incorrect artwork. That artwork is from a previous VHS release from the mid-90s.
    Gotcha. I knew the cover design was the same as the second VHS release. Thanks.