[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Supremes 8/17/1969 San Diego, CA

The first time I saw The Supremes live was in the summer/fall of 1968 when they came to San Diego. It was of course an amazing experience. They performed wonderfully and looked fabulous in those very familiar long sleeve, form fitting, jewel encrusted gowns [[the one Diana wore when she sang “Somewhere” on TCB).
    They were dressed a little different when they returned the following year [[Sunday, August 17th, two months after my high school graduation). I took some photos at that concert [[from my seat) using just your basic Kodak 110 [[I think) camera. I just wanted to have something to remember the concert by; I didn’t expect them to come out very well. And they didn’t. Except for one I took when Diana came out into the audience during the “Aquarius” medley. I kept a copy of that photo but the rest and the negatives I believed to be [[like my youth) long gone.
    But not long ago while going through some unrelated documents I found the actual negatives. I couldn’t believe it, 42 years later! I ran down to my local drug store’s photo shop to get prints made. They laughed, “Our equipment can’t accommodate negatives that old. Sir.” Ouch. Long story short I went to a camera store and it’s all good. The quality is poor [[and I also had to crop them), but they kind have a historical value now, so. These are the three “best”.
    I was a little shocked to see the girls in such casual attire. Cindy was in a short green party dress with gold chains and green stockings and Diana was in pink slacks with a poncho. Mary was the most stunning in her shiny blouse and flowing pants, scandalously baring her mid-riff! I loved it! I got over my shock pretty quick and it was a wonderful show. “Farewell” was just five months in the future.
    I have an advertising poster from the show as well. One of those 14 X 22 black lettering on a fluorescent [[generally red) background cardboard posters, the kind that got tacked on telephone poles. I got this one before it was tacked, thank you very much, but it has lost some of its fluorescence over the years. I have no idea how to post a copy of that? The poster is the only reason I know the exact date of the concert. LOL! Or is that another ouch? Enjoy.

Attachment 2621
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 03-03-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Photo 2---------------

Attachment 2622

Photo 3 ---------------

Attachment 2624

Wow! All three look very nice! Thanks for sharing some vintage history. And to think you were there too. Mary's smile can be seen from a mile away! Stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Wow! All three look very nice! Thanks for sharing some vintage history. And to think you were there too. Mary's smile can be seen from a mile away! Stunning.
    Your welcome. Mary was totally "on" that evening. She was completely stunning!

Thanks you sooo much SOPHISTICATED SOUL,for posting these great picture's,MARY had it going on,even then.
    Please stay positive

SS....WOW!!!! You been holding out on me....nice photos....loved reading of your memories. More....MORE!!!

smark21 Guest
    Good to see them in performance in this era looking more their age and not so lacquered up. Great find!

Nice pictures and definitely a piece of history to hold on to. I wonder if the gowns were missing in tow or being altered already.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Thanks you sooo much SOPHISTICATED SOUL,for posting these great picture's,MARY had it going on,even then.
    Please stay positive
    Your welcome RED HOT, glad you enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    SS....WOW!!!! You been holding out on me....nice photos....loved reading of your memories. More....MORE!!!
    Johnny, I would never hold out on you! I was sure I had sent you copies of at least two of these! My bad. Glad you liked the story, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Good to see them in performance in this era looking more their age and not so lacquered up. Great find!
    Glad you enjoyed them smark21. Couldn't believe I found the negatives after soooooo many years!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I wonder if the gowns were missing in tow or being altered already.
    Don't know captain, I thought at the time there plane might have been late or something. lol. Guess it was just changing [[no pun intended) times.

Thanks for posting and for sharing your experience. Time does pass by swiftly! And the old saying is true, "A picture is worth
    a thousand words".

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Mary was totally "on" that evening.
    But what do you think she was ON? [[grin) Sorry, my friend....it was MUCH too good to pass up!

What a wonderful treat. Thanks for finding and sharing these great pictures.

Roberta.

I thought I'd read in one of the Supremes-related books that by mid-1969, because things were definitely...cooling for Diana Ross and The Supremes, Motown/their management decided to spice things up on the road by having them wear street clothes [[though high quality/high fashion, I'm sure) instead of their gowns at their performances. I believe what was written in what I read was that it was an attempt to make the Supremes seem more "hip" and contemporary [[and probably less of what was becoming seen as "plastic glamour"). I wonder, however, if they still wore their gowns when appearing at high-paying venues [[i.e., supper clubs) but wore the street clothes at more casual venues. Sophisticated_Soul, was this show at a school [[high school/college) auditorium? If so, that's where I would assume they might have been more apt to wear these types of outfits. Thank you for sharing these pix--they're great shots and that Kodak film still shows the vivid colors!

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Thanks for posting and for sharing your experience. Time does pass by swiftly! And the old saying is true, "A picture is worth
    a thousand words".
    Your welcome Randy. From there to here has been like a blink. It's scary. Having these photos back allows me to touch that moment again. I was a little dubious about posting them, so I'm really glad folks have enjoyed them.

But what do you think she was ON? [[grin) Sorry, my friend....it was MUCH too good to pass up!
    Bad Johnny, I am going to have to spank you! No, wait you might enjoy that. I keed!, I keed! The real question is what was I "on"? And the answer is nothing - but The Supremes! Mary was on fire that night. You gotta give the girl her due. The one photo I wish had come out was the one of Mary doing her solo, but unfortunately she wound up obscured by the head of the guy sitting in front of me. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Roberta.
    Your welcome Roberta. I hope you have enjoyed joining the forum. There is a lot great stuff here.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 03-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I thought I'd read in one of the Supremes-related books that by mid-1969, because things were definitely...cooling for Diana Ross and The Supremes, Motown/their management decided to spice things up on the road by having them wear street clothes [[though high quality/high fashion, I'm sure) instead of their gowns at their performances. I believe what was written in what I read was that it was an attempt to make the Supremes seem more "hip" and contemporary [[and probably less of what was becoming seen as "plastic glamour"). I wonder, however, if they still wore their gowns when appearing at high-paying venues [[i.e., supper clubs) but wore the street clothes at more casual venues. Sophisticated_Soul, was this show at a school [[high school/college) auditorium? If so, that's where I would assume they might have been more apt to wear these types of outfits. Thank you for sharing these pix--they're great shots and that Kodak film still shows the vivid colors!
    I think you are right about the reason for the casual wear, danman. But I am sure that for the nightclub crowd they were still glittering up. The concert was at the San Diego Sports Arena. I think it seats about 12,000 but the concert was set up for half of the arena. The year before they played the same venue but in the round and it was almost totatlly sold out. Times were changing.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 03-03-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Great pictures and story sophisticated_soul , thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Great pictures and story sophisticated_soul , thank you for sharing!
    Your welcome Marv. I really wish some of the other photos had come out better as well, but three is good.

Sophicasted Soul you finally created a thread where there is nothing but love for the girls. Thank You a million times over.

Great pics and they brought back lots of memories

Thanks for posting. These are the kind of posts that make this forum worth visiting. haven't been on a lot lately because of all of the hateful folks.

I had the pleasure of seeing The Supremes several times from 1965 - 1969. They did mix it up a bit, clothes wise. High fashion and the more "Supreme" style.

As for them being hep for a college or younger crowd, Late in 1969 they played Boston College wearing the gowns that they wore at the beginning of TCB. I have some pics of this and should see if they are lurking in my desk somewhere. Summer of 1969,I saw them at a Theater in the Round in Framingham MA [[Stevie was the opening act). Diana wore a halter top pants suit in white, Cindy was in a Black pants suit and Mary [[sporting a blond wig) wore a short blue cocktail dress.

I never thought I would breath easy during a Supremes thread. Sophistcated Soul, I'm upgrading your forum status to "Wizard" Very nice. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Sophicasted Soul you finally created a thread where there is nothing but love for the girls. Thank You a million times over.
    You are very welcome captain. There are some things here we can all find common ground on. Especially the music and our experience with it, and our love for it.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 03-03-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    Thanks for posting. These are the kind of posts that make this forum worth visiting. haven't been on a lot lately because of all of the hateful folks.

I had the pleasure of seeing The Supremes several times from 1965 - 1969. They did mix it up a bit, clothes wise. High fashion and the more "Supreme" style.

As for them being hep for a college or younger crowd, Late in 1969 they played Boston College wearing the gowns that they wore at the beginning of TCB. I have some pics of this and should see if they are lurking in my desk somewhere. Summer of 1969,I saw them at a Theater in the Round in Framingham MA [[Stevie was the opening act). Diana wore a halter top pants suit in white, Cindy was in a Black pants suit and Mary [[sporting a blond wig) wore a short blue cocktail dress.
    This night Edwin Starr opened for the girls and he just cooked! Man he was something. Then The Edwin Hawkins singers came on, riding the success of "Oh, Happy Day". Then the girls. I'm pretty sure when they were here the year before that Stevie also opened for them. Please look for those photos dba, I would love to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I never thought I would breath easy during a Supremes thread. Sophistcated Soul, I'm upgrading your forum status to "Wizard" Very nice. Thank you.
    Wizard!? I don't know about all that Sir Ralph, but I do appreciate the thought. Thank you very much!

btw, ticket prices that night, $3.75, $4.75, $5.50 and $6.00. "Military Discount Available".

Sophisticated Soul....

Word Association thread: I said 'Wish Fulfilled' if you did post those pics you mentioned...and see how glad we all are that you have......!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Sophisticated Soul....

Word Association thread: I said 'Wish Fulfilled' if you did post those pics you mentioned...and see how glad we all are that you have......!
    You got the ball rolling westgrand, thanks for the encouragement!

This is the picture I really, really wish had come out better. As you can [[barely) see Diana and Cindy are doing background while Mary is up front doing her solo. But all you can see of Mary is the top of her head and her hair band behind that guys head. Dang and double dang! Mary got a massive reception for her solo.

Attachment 2627

Sophisticated Soul

And you, being the well-behaved young Supreme fan [[naturally!), didn't stand up to get yourself a really good pic, in case you momentarily blocked the view of those sat behind you....proving once again that those with good manners do sometimes lose out in life...!

Ah well, what we can see in your pics does summon up the flavour of what was obviously a great, great show!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Sophisticated Soul

And you, being the well-behaved young Supreme fan [[naturally!), didn't stand up to get yourself a really good pic, in case you momentarily blocked the view of those sat behind you....proving once again that those with good manners do sometimes lose out in life...!

Ah well, what we can see in your pics does summon up the flavour of what was obviously a great, great show!
    LOL!!!!!!! You're right, I would not stand up to snap a photo. Probably should have but didn't. I was very shy in those days. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, A photo of Diana Ross in Mary's usual spot.

smark21 Guest
    Anything else you remember from the show? Was the setlist pretty much the same as the Farewell Show?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Roberta.
    Too bad we can't see their feet.

topdiva1 Guest
    Nice old pictures - good to see something candid and rare - Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

great pictures. i really hated those later shows, too many showtunes and not enough hits and when they did sing their hits it was a very rushed medley of them.

"I never thought I would breath easy during a Supremes thread. Sophistcated Soul, I'm upgrading your forum status to "Wizard" Very nice. Thank you" Ralph

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we should close the thread down and save it in a time capsule because nobody would believe this. Maybe because Diane was singing in the background and Mary did a lead is why all is well lol! Great thread with important history.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 03-03-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post

dba, I also saw The Supremes quite a bit during the same period and at the same places.

At The Carousel Theatre in Framingham, when they appeared with Stevie Wonder in 1969, I saw them three times that week. Opening night they wore the Right On gowns. It was street-clothes the following evening. I forget what they wore closing night. I remember in 1967, when they appeared there with The Temptations, they wore black tuxedos!

At BC, I think it was October 3, 1969, I saw the first show, they wore the Let The Sunshine In gowns from GIT. I was a bit disappointed because I had seen them a week or two before at UMass Amherst, where I attended school, during which they wore the same gowns, also for the first show.

I always thought they wore casual outfits for summer theater on occasion. I also figured it was for a tax write-off so they could claim some of their personal clothes as a business expense. Of the 10 times I saw them I only recall once or twice in which they wore different outfits and not gowns [[or tuxedos!).

Wow! This is awesome. I want to thank all of you so much for not only allowing me this trip down memory lane, but for coming along with me. Your kind comments are such a bonus. I have seen so many wonderful photos on this site that I was a little reluctant to post such poor quality photos. But I felt they had value and I'm really glad you've enjoyed them. Thanks again.
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 03-04-2011 at 04:56 AM. Reason: confusion

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Anything else you remember from the show? Was the setlist pretty much the same as the Farewell Show?
    My memory is bit hazy on some of this, but yes the set list was very similiar to what "Farewell" would be. The '68 show was more like the set list for "Talk Of The Town". The '69 show was a little looser, it felt more spontaneous.

Wow! This is awesome stuff SS! Thanks for sharing these pictures and your fond memories of some very special moments.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    dba, I also saw The Supremes quite a bit during the same period and at the same places.

At The Carousel Theatre in Framingham, when they appeared with Stevie Wonder in 1969, I saw them three times that week. Opening night they wore the Right On gowns. It was street-clothes the following evening. I forget what they wore closing night. I remember in 1967, when they appeared there with The Temptations, they wore black tuxedos!

At BC, I think it was October 3, 1969, I saw the first show, they wore the Let The Sunshine In gowns from GIT. I was a bit disappointed because I had seen them a week or two before at UMass Amherst, where I attended school, during which they wore the same gowns, also for the first show.

I always thought they wore casual outfits for summer theater on occasion. I also figured it was for a tax write-off so they could claim some of their personal clothes as a business expense. Of the 10 times I saw them I only recall once or twice in which they wore different outfits and not gowns [[or tuxedos!).
    dba and johnjeb...I saw one of those Supremes/Stevie shows during that Summer of '69 run at the Carousel Theatre in Framingham. It was an afternoon performance. My friend Beverly and I got there early...and being my curious self, I figured I'd try to find out where Stevie and DMC were. So I went behind the theatre...there was this dusty lot. There also were two trailers. One of the trailers...I could see some women in it...but who knows who they were. I walked up to a person who looked like he belonged to the show and asked if I could have Stevie's autograph. After a bit of time, he brought back a "Stevie Wonder" autograph on the 3x5 card I had given him. I thanked the guy, and as I walked away, I wondered how Stevie would write his autograph...being blind and all...and also wondered if the autograph was real. And, to this day...I still wonder. I still have that autograph.

As you said...Stevie opened the show. The day was hot...and Stevie worked so hard and gave such an amazing performance that he sweat through the suit he was wearing. I remember the sweat...I just don't remember the suit.

...I'll tell you....being such a Motown fan...I was so excited...my heart was racing ...it was almost a religious experience...I truly don't remember much...just a few odd things.

The Supremes...I remember saying to my friend that Diana was so extremely thin. I couldn't understand how she was able to expend so much energy. I remember, too, there was a false ending, with Diana being brought off the stage, as if she was ill, and then she came back.

sophisticatedsoul....such a wonderful thread...it's great to hear of your and others memories of these performances. I only wish I could remember more....

John

OMG that was too funny --- loved it.

dba and johnjeb...I saw one of those Supremes/Stevie shows during that Summer of '69 run at the Carousel Theatre in Framingham. It was an afternoon performance. My friend Beverly and I got there early...and being my curious self, I figured I'd try to find out where Stevie and DMC were. So I went behind the theatre...there was this dusty lot. There also were two trailers. One of the trailers...I could see some women in it...but who knows who they were. I walked up to a person who looked like he belonged to the show and asked if I could have Stevie's autograph. After a bit of time, he brought back a "Stevie Wonder" autograph on the 3x5 card I had given him. I thanked the guy, and as I walked away, I wondered how Stevie would write his autograph...being blind and all...and also wondered if the autograph was real. And, to this day...I still wonder. I still have that autograph.

As you said...Stevie opened the show. The day was hot...and Stevie worked so hard and gave such an amazing performance that he sweat through the suit he was wearing. I remember the sweat...I just don't remember the suit.

...I'll tell you....being such a Motown fan...I was so excited...my heart was racing ...it was almost a religious experience...I truly don't remember much...just a few odd things.

The Supremes...I remember saying to my friend that Diana was so extremely thin. I couldn't understand how she was able to expend so much energy. I remember, too, there was a false ending, with Diana being brought off the stage, as if she was ill, and then she came back.

sophisticatedsoul....such a wonderful thread...it's great to hear of your and others memories of these performances. I only wish I could remember more....

John

Quote Originally Posted by selbmarsh2000 View Post
    Too bad we can't see their feet.
    Hahahahahaha

This is what I love about the forum and I wish more people shared their memories on these concerts or any Motown concert. It's always fun to hear people's memories and experiences.

Keep them coming!

John
    Thank you my friend. And thank you for adding your story. I wish I could remember more myself! Four or so decades will do that! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch! LOL!!!!!!!!!. The first time I saw the girls live in 1968 I thought I was going to have coronary waiting for them to come on stage I was so excited!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    This is what I love about the forum and I wish more people shared their memories on these concerts or any Motown concert. It's always fun to hear people's memories and experiences.

Keep them coming!
    Yes, please do keep them coming! Photos if you got 'em.