[REMOVE ADS]

Teen Dance Shows/Looking for Participants

For a book on televised teen dance shows of the 1950s and 1960s, I am hoping to locate anyone connected with these programs:

Detroit Bandstand
    Ed McKenzie's Saturday Dance Party
    Bud Davies' Dance Party
    Club 1270
    Teen Town
    Swingin' Time

I am a dance historian at New York University. Any reminiscences, memories, or anecdotes about performing on the shows or working behind the scenes will be welcomed. Former dancers, producers, DJs, cameramen: I hope to hear from you! I am also particularly interested in hearing from African American dancers who may have performed on the shows as teen dancers.

Please respond to this thread or email me privately at jmm2@nyu.edu.

Thank you very much in advance.

Julie M.

My dad danced on Swingin' Time twice as a teen. I'll let him know about this project. You should also contact Steve Holsey at the Michigan Chronicle... if you have not already. Steve danced on the Swingin Time show and knows the whearaouts of other dancers. Singer-actress Lonette McKee danced on the show at least once and was a performer.

HAHA...I was waiting for you to say that Kamasu. Didn't your mum also dance? I seem to recall your parents got together as they both liked dancing.

Have you seen dad dancing on video?

They did like dancing - still do - and have been dance partners for life now. They met as little kids after my mom spotted my dad outside her window dancing while her brother played records. Awww ain't that cute? They were over to my place last night, dancing to Doris Troy's Just One Look.
    However, both times that my dad went over to Canada, my mother didn't go. She was a year or two younger than him and her parents wouldn't let her go over to Windsor Canada with dad. My grandmother didn't trust him or my mother to run around by themselves through Downtown Detroit without supervision.
    Dad had a very grainy video of Gladys Knight and the Pips on Swingin' Time [[the guests on the show the day he went). But I forget if he saw himself dancing in the crowd.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-02-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Sounds like an interesting project Julie. If I come up with anything that will help, I'll let you know.

Marv

uptight Guest
    Interesting subject matter, Julie. Good luck on this!

Kamasu

We need to get hold of that edition of Swinging Time. Can your dad recall what the hit song was that day when Gladys performed.

Was it easy to be a dancer on the show. Did you just go along there and take your chance?