[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More Supremes lost TV appearances [[that I just found out about)

The lost footage of Supremes performances has always fascinated me, as does lost TV media in general. It seems like every time I Google them, I find more. Recently, I found a French Diana Ross fan site [[in English) that had a year-by-year itinerary of the girls’ tours, interviews, TV appearances, etc. There were some shows listed that I know I never heard of, and definitely not in connection with the Supremes. Many of these were local shows. These are pretty much all from Flo’s tenure. This is not all of them. I’m wondering if I should catalog these for myself and just add to it as I come across more.

* Club 1270 [[A local Detroit show on WXYZ Channel 7; 1964-65) The girls are said to have made multiple appearances on this short-lived local show.

* The Clay Cole Show [[local NY show on WPIX 11; late 1964) Almost no episodes of this show are believed to exist as they generally re-used tapes.

* 9th Street West [[local live show from Los Angeles; late 1964) This was a five-day-a-week live show which was not recorded and no longer exists in any form.

* Les Crane Show [[ABC, 1/4/65) Most Les Crane episodes were destroyed.

* Sunday Night at the Palladium [[ITV in Britain; 3/21/65) Known to have at least performed “Stop in the Name of Love”

* Ready Steady Go! [[ITV, 3/26/65) This is NOT the Sound of Motown special that’s been on YouTube for years. The girls perform “Stop in the Name of Love”. For years, I saw this air date listed and assumed it was the one hosted by Dusty Springfield, which actually aired April 21.

* December 31, 1965 and 1966. The girls perform at the Orange Bowl Parade in Miami.

* January 17, 1966: The Supremes opening night at the Roostertail is broacast live on Detroit’s local WXYZ TV station. I never knew any Roostertail performances were televised

* The Supremes at the Copa [[syndicated special, 3/18/66) Again, I had no idea that there was ever televised footage of this.

* On January 25, 1966, the girls recorded “Washington Hilton Grand Ballroom Performance”, but the air date is unknown. I also don’t know if that’s the actual name of the show. On the site, it’s listed in quotation marks like any other show title. If so, it sounds like something that would air on PBS or some similar station.

Does anyone know if any of these still exist? Many probably don’t. However, it’s important to keep in mind that until a few years ago, the girls’ May 1967 appearance on Johnny Carson was thought to be gone forever until it made its way to YouTube. Before that, it was considered almost a Holy Grail among Supremes aficionados. With technology the way it is now, I’m convinced most “lost” media eventually ends up on YouTube sooner or later. FWIW, I’ve also started threads on a few lost media forums regarding these performances. No responses yet, but at least the word is out there. We can’t be the only ones interested in such footage.

Here a link to the site I was telling you about. It’s very thorough considering it only launched in June of last year.

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/index.htm
    Last edited by Bobby88; 08-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.