[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    When I heard "Stumble And Fall", it knocked me out! I really like this one and couldn't understand why Phil would withdraw something this good. Now you've brought out the light on this one. I love Darlene's [[and The Blossoms') work on "Shindig!" I've managed to collect, I think, every episode of the show [[and I could talk for decades about my love of this show!)

I often wondered about how their weekly appearances on the show affected their working with Phil. I don't think the Blossoms ever promoted their own records on the show, unless I just haven't seen the espisode[[s) yet. I had never known that Phil Spector view Darlene's being on the show as a betrayal. Very interesting.

Gary, your work here, listing all these records, recording info, etc. is nothing short of amazing. I love your love for this subject!
    Thank you very much for your kind words, Waiting. It's acknowledgment and compliments like yours that keep me going. And, believe me, there's still a lot more to come and more work to do! I'm nearly finished compiling Phil Spector - Part C - "Rare & Unreleased Philles Plus" which I'm really excited about!

You are the umpteenth person who has said the same thing and raved about Darlene's "Stumble And Fall" recently. I believe that if people had been given a chance to hear it on the radio, it might have been the hit that Phil was desperately in need of at the time. But, withdrawing it to get back at Darlene was merely cutting off his own nose to spite his face. Again, Phil was, at times, his own worst enemy.

I always loved those Shindig shows with Darlene and The Blossoms. In addition to backing up other artists on the show, they were usually given one song to sing on their own, but I don't remember it ever being one of their own Philles songs. The performance I remember most was when they sang The Velvelettes' "Needle In A Haystack". I can still see their finger movements like sewing with a needle and thread! Real good stuff!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-31-2019 at 07:38 PM.