[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Isn't it strange how the things we sniggered about as children is called "adult humour"?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Back in the 90s there was a book whose title and purpose escapes me. It was not music related at all, from what I can remember, or maybe it was. It's been so long. But I remember being surprised that there was a Supremes reference at all, let alone a "Buttered Popcorn" reference, which leads me to believe the book had nothing to do with music. Anyway, there was a point in the book where the author says that the Supremes' "Buttered Popcorn" was a euphemism for masturbation. My young mind was blown. Not my Supremes! Not my Florence! Singing about some dude jackin off? NO!!!! And for a long while I actually cooled off the song because it threw me off to believe that Gordy had written a song about some dude bustin nuts all over the place 24/7 and then given it to the teenage Supremes to sing about. Then one day I realized that it just sounds so farfetched that I couldn't give it any more credit and officially filed it in the "nevermind" section of my mind and carried on jamming to the song like nothing ever happened.
    There is The Book of Rock Lists by Dave Marsh and Kevin Stein...A Dell/Rolling Stone Press Book...1981...There was an updated 1994 edition, as well...

I have the 1981 edition...Page 486 has "Onan's Greatest Hits: 25 Greatest Songs About Masturbation"...Buttered Popcorn is #4...it's an alphabetical listing by song title...

When I google songs about masturbation Buttered Popcorn does not appear on any other lists...so either putting it on this list in 1981 was a stretch [[pun intended) or it never really was about masturbation...or more importantly who really wants to think about The Supremes singing about masturbation.

When I first saw this list in 1981 I was surprised...I first heard the song in 1966 and knowing it was recorded in the early 60s I just assumed it was similar to other novelty songs of that era...I did consider that maybe if it was about masturbation it had something to do with the practice of boys, when at the movies with their girlfriends, would cut out the bottom of a popcorn container and place it over their pants or genitals...back then popcorn containers were tall and narrow similar to a large soda cup [[not the wide tubs like today).

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Rock-Lis.../dp/0283988371

https://www.amazon.com/New-Book-Rock...RQJNQ04457S9ZK

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    There is The Book of Rock Lists by Dave Marsh and Kevin Stein...A Dell/Rolling Stone Press Book...1981...There was an updated 1994 edition, as well...

I have the 1981 edition...Page 486 has "Onan's Greatest Hits: 25 Greatest Songs About Masturbation"...Buttered Popcorn is #4...it's an alphabetical listing by song title...

When I google songs about masturbation Buttered Popcorn does not appear on any other lists...so either putting it on this list in 1981 was a stretch [[pun intended) or it never really was about masturbation...or more importantly who really wants to think about The Supremes singing about masturbation.

When I first saw this list in 1981 I was surprised...I first heard the song in 1966 and knowing it was recorded in the early 60s I just assumed it was similar to other novelty songs of that era...I did consider that maybe if it was about masturbation it had something to do with the practice of boys, when at the movies with their girlfriends, would cut out the bottom of a popcorn container and place it over their pants or genitals...back then popcorn containers were tall and narrow similar to a large soda cup [[not the wide tubs like today).

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Rock-Lis.../dp/0283988371

https://www.amazon.com/New-Book-Rock...RQJNQ04457S9ZK
    Okay, well first of all, thank you for the information on the Book of Rock Lists. It probably was around the mid 90s when I encountered it.

But I have to say your recollection of movie theater masturbation involving popcorn containers is even more informative. You baby boomers sure knew how to do...stuff.