[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mary discusses The Tears,Stoned Love, The Happening

Don’t know if this has been posted but interviewer really knows his music! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYlIw40iig

I love that Mary is so in demand for interviews. I think she has more interviews than any current or former Motown artist. She is the keeper of the Supremes Legacy!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love that Mary is so in demand for interviews. I think she has more interviews than any current or former Motown artist. She is the keeper of the Supremes Legacy!

The only reason why she does more interviews than other classic Motown artists is because she needs the publicity more than the likes of Diana, Smokey, Stevie, Martha, Gladys etc. They are more selective whereas Mary seems to accept every offer on the table. That is her business of course, but don't try to imply that she is more in demand than those real Motown legends. That is most certainly not the case.

I had not thought about Prince’s “Little Red Corvette” borrowing from “Up the Ladder to the Roof,” but I can certainly hear the similarity now that he mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    I had not thought about Prince’s “Little Red Corvette” borrowing from “Up the Ladder to the Roof,” but I can certainly hear the similarity now that he mentioned it.
    sing the chorus of Touch Me In the Morning. it too copies Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    sing the chorus of Touch Me In the Morning. it too copies Ladder
    Gotta say I don't hear that at all.

It is interesting now that I think about it. Prince had definitely heard "Up the Ladder to the Roof". They [[Little Red Corvette) have similar sounds. Angie Stone flat out used portions of "Stoned Love" on one of her tracks.

The first time I heard "Little Red Corvette", I thought it sounded like UTLTTR, but everyone I mentioned it to just scoffed.

Yeah I hear it too. I wonder if it was a coincidence or if Prince really "borrowed" it. Very interesting considering how protective he was of his own work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The only reason why she does more interviews than other classic Motown artists is because she needs the publicity more than the likes of Diana, Smokey, Stevie, Martha, Gladys etc. They are more selective whereas Mary seems to accept every offer on the table. That is her business of course, but don't try to imply that she is more in demand than those real Motown legends. That is most certainly not the case.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but i suspect most would disagree with you, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion, but i suspect most would disagree with you, myself included.
    Mary Wilson has done hundreds of interviews. She repeats herself over and over again. Do you honestly think that a potential interviewer would prefer to sit down for an hour or so with Mary Wilson rather than Diana, Stevie or Smokey? They are not so readily accessable whereas Mary seems to grasp every availabe opportunity to talk. The other three are far more choosey and selective about whom they talk to because they are much more in demand than Mary Wilson could ever hope to be. In such cases as this less is more.

Mary Wilson has done hundreds of interviews. She repeats herself over and over again. Do you honestly think that a potential interviewer would prefer to sit down for an hour or so with Mary Wilson rather than Diana, Stevie or Smokey? They are not so readily accessable whereas Mary seems to grasp every availabe opportunity to talk. The other three are far more choosey and selective about whom they talk to because they are much more in demand than Mary Wilson could ever hope to be. In such cases as this less is more.
    Like I said before: You are entitled to your opinion, but i suspect most would disagree with you, myself included.

Smokey recently did an lengthy interview with the Breakfast Club. Stevie does not travel as much and Diane is just not in demand for interviews because she does not want to discuss The Supremes ever. There is not much else for her to talk about these days other than getting poked in her private parts and imagining the TSA agents were violating her.............

Hi Blackguy. I agree with your response. I typically avoid responding to his ignorance and agenda, but I enjoy most of your input on this forum.

Well I totally agree! People who don’t believe this must be totally super Marty Wilson fans, in denial or plain dumb!! IMO. How could they possibly believe that Mary is in more demand than Diana, Gladys, Smokey, Stevie, or Martha? That is plain silly!!
    Last edited by vgalindo; 08-09-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Well I totally agree! People who don’t believe this must be totally super Marty Wilson fans, in denial or plain dumb!! IMO
    Of course. Not to mention that the majority of Wilson's interviews are on down-market venues that the major stars would not touch with a barge pole. I also do not wish her poorly and understand she takes whatever she can get, but to pretend otherwise is disingenuous at best. There are certainly far more people interested in hearing her talk than sing.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Well I totally agree! People who don’t believe this must be totally super Marty Wilson fans, in denial or plain dumb!! IMO. How could they possibly believe that Mary is in more demand than Diana, Gladys, Smokey, Stevie, or Martha? That is plain silly!!
    Some people just cannot accept the truth. There is no reasoning with them. I think Diana, Stevie, Smokey would laugh out loud if someone claimed that Mary Wilson was more in demand for interviews than them. I am laughing as i write this! Let them carry on claiming that. Their delusion knows no limits.

Some people just cannot accept the truth. There is no reasoning with them. I think Diana, Stevie, Smokey would laugh out loud if someone claimed that Mary Wilson was more in demand for interviews than them. I am laughing as i write this! Let them carry on claiming that. Their delusion knows no limits.
    Every recent interview I've seen that Mary has given, the interviewer seemed excited and pleased to be speaking to her. So I think you are in this thread only because you have sour grapes or some kind of chip on your shoulder that no one gives a damn about.

Mary has become THE spokesperson for Motown!

Mary is not the spokesperson for Motown. She is the spokesperson for Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Mary has become THE spokesperson for Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Mary is not the spokesperson for Motown. She is the spokesperson for Mary Wilson.
    Why do you think Luke wrote "the" in capitals?

We all actually wish Mary well in her endeavors; we merely need to strike a balance of the actualities of her career versus the hyperventilating over-compensating of a handful of people who really care even less about her than we do but just attempt to use Mary as an insult-cudgel against other Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    We all actually wish Mary well in her endeavors; we merely need to strike a balance of the actualities of her career versus the hyperventilating over-compensating of a handful of people who really care even less about her than we do but just attempt to use Mary as an insult-cudgel against other Supremes.
    Well said.

I am new to the forums here and I love all of the girl groups, especially the Supremes. I had the honor of seeing Miss Diana Ross in Las Vegas this year and she is as beautiful and gracious as ever. I honestly didn't know that Mary Wilson was still performing let alone giving "interviews". Based on what I see here on the Soulful Detroit, Mary Wilson hasn't much new to say or offer. I never really cared for her anyway - no real "it" factor. She was basically a background singer for those of us who grew up in the 60s like myself. Diana Ross was and is the star of the Supremes, of Motown, and the most famous and adored girl group singer ever - earned it, deserved it. It is what it is. We all have our opinions I guess.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and am now going over to the main Motown forum! All these posts about Mary "who?" Wilson are making me a bit dizzy!

There's no way Mary Wilson is in more demand than Diana, Stevie, Smokey or a few other Motown legends. If an interviewer had the choice between Mary and any of those folks, she surely comes out on the losing end. However, Mary secures interviews because people want to talk to her. But as usual if someone says something nice or positive about Mary the usual suspects have to chime in on the contrary. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by annettewainwright View Post
    I am new to the forums here and I love all of the girl groups, especially the Supremes. I had the honor of seeing Miss Diana Ross in Las Vegas this year and she is as beautiful and gracious as ever. I honestly didn't know that Mary Wilson was still performing let alone giving "interviews". Based on what I see here on the Soulful Detroit, Mary Wilson hasn't much new to say or offer. I never really cared for her anyway - no real "it" factor. She was basically a background singer for those of us who grew up in the 60s like myself. Diana Ross was and is the star of the Supremes, of Motown, and the most famous and adored girl group singer ever - earned it, deserved it. It is what it is. We all have our opinions I guess.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and am now going over to the main Motown forum! All these posts about Mary "who?" Wilson are making me a bit dizzy!
    I agree. She was stunningly beautiful but lacked that special something required to become a star in her own right. She deserves respect for still being out there in some capacity, but it would be true to say she is more famous for her kiss and tell books than for her singing which no-one apart from her die hard fans is interested in hearing. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Don’t know if this has been posted but interviewer really knows his music! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYlIw40iig
    Now that was a good interview. The interviewer knew his stuff, probably, aside from being professional, because he was a fan. The music was the most important aspect of this interview. This is what is usually missing from interviews of Mary and Diana. With Mary they want to talk drama and her relationship with Diana. With Diana it's usually all about her children and her legacy. I want recollections of the music. What was the recording session like? What was the creative approach or creative mentality behind this or that? It's so incredibly sad that when the last of these women have left the earth, most of what will be left behind- other than the songs and albums themselves- will be insignificant nonsense.

Are we sure of it? I know Prince listened to Motown growing up but are we sure??? Seems to be the in thing to go "your song sounds like mine's" these days.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Are we sure of it? I know Prince listened to Motown growing up but are we sure??? Seems to be the in thing to go "your song sounds like mine's" these days.
    All we have to do is use our ears and you know going all the way back that people were "borrowing" from other songs all the time. How many of those 60s and 70s intros do you sit through trying to guess "Okay which song is this coming on because it sounds like A but it might B. I won't know until the person starts singing."? I just think we're starting to see more and more pettiness and dollar signs from folks wanting to cash in. Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe someone has the right to sue over something egregious, but some of this stuff is a stretch. Singing the words "Little red Corvette" and "Up the ladder to the roof", it's easy to hear the similarity in melody. But aside from that, the two songs sound nothing at all alike. Of course that never stopped anyone from suing over music these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    All we have to do is use our ears and you know going all the way back that people were "borrowing" from other songs all the time. How many of those 60s and 70s intros do you sit through trying to guess "Okay which song is this coming on because it sounds like A but it might B. I won't know until the person starts singing."? I just think we're starting to see more and more pettiness and dollar signs from folks wanting to cash in. Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe someone has the right to sue over something egregious, but some of this stuff is a stretch. Singing the words "Little red Corvette" and "Up the ladder to the roof", it's easy to hear the similarity in melody. But aside from that, the two songs sound nothing at all alike. Of course that never stopped anyone from suing over music these days.
    Prince would have been 12 years old when "Up the Ladder to the Roof" was on the radio, so of course he's heard it and probably many times.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Prince would have been 12 years old when "Up the Ladder to the Roof" was on the radio, so of course he's heard it and probably many times.
    Very doubtful. Not many of the songs post 1970 really "stuck out"!

Quote Originally Posted by annettewainwright View Post
    Very doubtful. Not many of the songs post 1970 really "stuck out"!
    Well, I thought it sounded like "Up the Ladder to the Roof" from the very first time I heard it.