[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Maudlin is the only way I can describe this song. I understand wanting to have a social conscience in a pop song [[“Love Child) but a song about your man having OD’ed, lying there dead, is really over the top.
    No more over the top than Black bodies swinging in trees for the sun to rot and being plucked by crows. Death is a part of life and if a singer is going to tackle life in their songs, I don't know why death would be off the table. I do understand dark subject matter not being everyone's cup of tea. It sure isn't mine and I tend to avoid songs that are so depressing, which was why I passed on "Sleepin" after hearing it for the first time 15 or so years ago. But Diana's vocal performance makes the lyrics real. And when she does that part about leave him alone can't you see he's sleepin mister, she kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    No more over the top than Black bodies swinging in trees for the sun to rot and being plucked by crows. Death is a part of life and if a singer is going to tackle life in their songs, I don't know why death would be off the table. I do understand dark subject matter not being everyone's cup of tea. It sure isn't mine and I tend to avoid songs that are so depressing, which was why I passed on "Sleepin" after hearing it for the first time 15 or so years ago. But Diana's vocal performance makes the lyrics real. And when she does that part about leave him alone can't you see he's sleepin mister, she kills me.
    That was a dumb song to release in the "Have A Nice Day", sunny, upbeat and sometimes goofy 70s! Heck, songs like "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around the Old Oak Tree" was the type the public were buying around that time. Not depressing drug overdose songs!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was a dumb song to release in the "Have A Nice Day", sunny, upbeat and sometimes goofy 70s! Heck, songs like "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around the Old Oak Tree" was the type the public were buying around that time. Not depressing drug overdose songs!
    Well a lot of songs werent sunny or upbeat. Songs like.
    Needle and the Damage Done
    He aint Heavy
    Ive got to get am message to you
    Daniel
    12th of Never
    Delta Dawn
    Billy Dont be a Hero
    Annies Song
    Ben
    Seasons in the Sun
    Ode to Billy Joe

And a whole lot more so your aurgument doesnt stand..

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    If i'm in that mood, i really enjoy a good wallow in a morbidly sad or depressing song. It has a kind of cathartic effect on me that makes me feel a little better. It's like what Streisand talks about in her intro to the song "Let The Good Times Roll". Sometimes it's more comfortable to be sad then happy. Does that make sense?
    I loved "Sleepin'", from the first time i heard it as a kid, which is surprising. Superb, heartfelt vocal from Diana. The song was definitely wasted on such a rag bag album.