[REMOVE ADS]

miss_lish Guest

Black Woman Revisited: An Example We Should Model!

http://www.iaskinc.org/blog/sophiaanelson/?p=506

DIANA ROSS AN EXAMPLE WE SHOULD MODEL: BLACK FEMININITY, ELEGANCE, SENSUALITY & POWER ALL IN ONE!
    UNCATEGORIZED
    Recently legendary Pop Music & Movie Icon Diana Ross made a rare appearance on Oprah with her five children and new grandson. I found myself very moved by the appearance as were hundreds of other black women on Facebook & Twitter. Every few seconds there was a tweet or post about how fabulous Diana looked, or about how emotional we felt as we watched this original Feminine Diva at 67 still do her thing–and do it well!

I was in Florida yesterday speaking to a group of college students at Broward College just outside of Miami. I was a speaker for Black History Month and for my “Redefining You” college tours that will go nationwide this summer and fall. My topic was the image of black women in today’s modern culture and how those images still impact us in the workplace, relationally and otherwise. On these tours I engage students and I do a lot of listening as well. One young black man in his twenties [[video to post soon) made some stunning observations after we watched clips of the infamous Pepsi Max Superbowl ad and the “Black Marriage Negotiations” video that went viral earlier this year. Both clips depict black women as angry, abusive, buttoned up, harsh, controlling, overbearing, and just down right unattractive and even a bit “masculine” for lack of a better word.

What this young man said was simply jaw dropping for me [[but not to far out of line of what we know from the book research). After watching the ads he stood up and respectfully said, “Sadly, the images depicted in these ads do represent many young black women I know. I am not saying all, but most of my black male friends say they just cannot handle the anger and attitudes of black women. Here on campus, and in the law firm where I interned last summer, most of the black men dated Hispanic or White women. They say the other women are just nicer and more attractive. I think it is sad actually, because there are nice sisters, but the images of black women are so negative, and in some cases so true that men are just walking away from them without even giving it a chance. I think black women have to come to terms with this if they want it to change for the better.”

For me, when I think of Black female femininity I think of the image of Diana Ross on the cover of her Best-selling LP “Diana” [[pictured herein). She represented something we had not seen before. She was a true black woman superstar–in some ways she transcended race. She was thin–brown skinned, she had her hair wet [[OMG can you imagine a sister with her hair wet in a photo for all to see)–she had on a white T-shirt, blue jeans, she was bold, but soft, powerful, yet sensual. The images of Diana Ross are the ones I grew up with and that I remember well to this day. She was all W-O-M-A-N. She was a wife, a mom [[and according to her kids a very devoted and loving mom), she could stand in Central Park, New York in the pouring rain and sing to a SOLD-OUT crowd of over 750,000 fans in a tight red see through dress, and pull it off with a smile. She was free, she was fulfilled, she was affirmed.

Many of us could use some of that in our own lives. As we start this redefinition revolution together this May, we must examine closely how the images that have defined and shape us are impacting our men, our places of work, places of worship and our everyday lives as black women. Images have power beyond what we can imagine sisters–lest we gain control of how we are depicted, we will never get past how we are perceived.

Thanks for sharing Miss_Lish
    That kind of just puts things in prospective.

miss_lish Guest
    I meant to add Miss Ross's name in the title...oh, well. Sorry peeps.

While I can somewhat understand the statements attributed to that young brother, I believe that perhaps he is falling a bit short on perspective.

I have known thousands of kind, sweet black women, both old & young. Are there sour women out there? Of course there are, just as there are plenty of sour brothers out there. As a man whom has dealt with plenty of black women in my lifetime, I can truthfully say that I've had far more pleasurable experiences with our sisters than I've had bad ones.

If these sisters are indeed as unpleasant as he says that they are, perhaps he might try to see life through their eyes & walk in their shoes.

I've seen young brothers standing on corners & saying all sorts of outlandish things to young ladies, things that these young men wouldn't tolerate being aimed at their mothers or sisters. Then should a young lady be courteous enough to smile & say hello, she's gained a new mascot, as they see that as an opportunity to walk with her 6 blocks to the train station, fill her ears with a bunch of bullshit, all because she was trying to be courteous.

Should she not acknowledge their bullshit, whistles & some of the most ridiculous "rap" this side of Superfly meets Shaft meets Dolemite & Goldie, then she's got to be 10 kinds of a b#$%h & that sucks.

The young man might further consider that many of these young ladies have grown up watching aunts, sisters, neighbors, friends, mothers & perhaps themselves being dissed, short-changed & abused by some of our so-called "brothers". Perhaps they've seen sweet women taken advantage of, used as cash cows & simply have decided that they're not going out like their predecessors did.

Are young ladies today different from the young ladies of my youth? In most respects, the answer is yes. The question that this young man needs to consider is exactly how & why did they get to be this way?

The young ladies of my youth & even beyond that, were kind, generous & if they loved you, they loved you. The young ladies of this generation are at an extreme disadvantage because I can recall no other period in my life, where black women are routinely assailed, disrespected, depicted as sex objects & worse, as they are today. Our women have been the backbone of our families for years, holding up both their end, as well as the weight of men whom abandoned their manly duties.

They want her to be strong, but if she's TOO strong, then she's labelled as "difficult". If she's holding down her business in the business world & accepts no shorts, then she's labelled as a "Queen B#&h". If she shows too much softness, then she's labelled as being "needy", if she acts "TOO" independent, then she's accused of thinking that she's "all that" & that she wants to be "THE MAN". I'm a man, but it seems to me as though many times, our sisters just can't win for losing.

Exactly how is any young lady of color supposed to feel these days when movies, music, videos & even the men whom are supposed to care for & nurture them, depicts them so negatively.

Perhaps, it's not the women whom are to fault. Perhaps the fault lies with some of us men in the mirror & some of our selfish-assed ways.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 03-01-2011 at 08:03 PM.