[REMOVE ADS]

I Got Hurt [[Trying To Be the Only Girl In Your Life)

Fans of this one? I fail to understand the logic behind what QC thought made good singles and what was relegated to album track only. I doubt "I Got Hurt" was going to number one [[maybe with a different mix perhaps?) but it definitely had more "hit" written on it than "Everybody's Got the Right to Love". In fact I think aside from "I Got Hurt", there may have been two or three more singles to be found on Right On in "Then We Can Try Again", or "Bill When Are You Coming Back" [[which may have resonated because of Vietnam and it's effects), or even "Baby, Baby", which is a song I personally don't care for but think it might have had some potential. Anything other than "Everybody's Got the Right", even though I love the song because of Jean's excellent vocal.

well i think we all agree that Ladder was the absolute super star song for the new Sups. perfect debut single. with just a bit more Motown promotion it would have gone top 5 or possibly #1.

So since that was a Frank Wilson production, the standing practice there was that he'd get the follow up. Because they were working on a sound and approach about "peace love and humanity" i think they were super hopefully Everybody would be a mega hit. the lyrical content was certainly timely. but the production is just so sluggish and dull. it was recorded and completed on 4/22/70 and Right On was released on 4/26. so it was a super rush job getting it onto the album. George mentioned that the prior lineup had The Day Sunday/Monday in place of Everybody.

Loving Country should have had a single edit and been the follow up to Ladder.

Great song from a great album. Back in the 70s we played this often, as we played the complete album often. Not a bad song on it!

I still maintain that if they had used the alternate version of Everybody [[found on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics), it would have been a better fit for the album and as a single. To me Everybody was the "New" Supremes answer to Reach Out & Touch. I never thought Bill, When Are You Coming Back should have been a single, but I heard it in a bar one night and it sounded fantastic! I take back my never and say that could have been a hit single as well. As for The Loving Country, I love the song but I don't see it as a single - just one hell of an album track.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    well i think we all agree that Ladder was the absolute super star song for the new Sups. perfect debut single. with just a bit more Motown promotion it would have gone top 5 or possibly #1.

So since that was a Frank Wilson production, the standing practice there was that he'd get the follow up. Because they were working on a sound and approach about "peace love and humanity" i think they were super hopefully Everybody would be a mega hit. the lyrical content was certainly timely. but the production is just so sluggish and dull. it was recorded and completed on 4/22/70 and Right On was released on 4/26. so it was a super rush job getting it onto the album. George mentioned that the prior lineup had The Day Sunday/Monday in place of Everybody.

Loving Country should have had a single edit and been the follow up to Ladder.
    Totally agree. I always said an edit of Loving Country could have followed Ladder into the top 10. Everybody was a nice enough song, but was probably the weakest tune on the excellent Right On album, and why was Bill wasted as a b side when it had the potential to be a major hit in its own right? Both the Supremes and Diana suffered with poor choices of singles in the early 70's. So frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I still maintain that if they had used the alternate version of Everybody [[found on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics), it would have been a better fit for the album and as a single. To me Everybody was the "New" Supremes answer to Reach Out & Touch. I never thought Bill, When Are You Coming Back should have been a single, but I heard it in a bar one night and it sounded fantastic! I take back my never and say that could have been a hit single as well. As for The Loving Country, I love the song but I don't see it as a single - just one hell of an album track.
    I never thought "Bill" would make a good single, although I loved the song. But at some point I started hearing it differently than before. I could imagine it making some waves.

I have the GH and Rare Classics on cassette somewhere. Is the version of "Everybody's" that's on it found anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I never thought "Bill" would make a good single, although I loved the song. But at some point I started hearing it differently than before. I could imagine it making some waves.

I have the GH and Rare Classics on cassette somewhere. Is the version of "Everybody's" that's on it found anywhere else?
    i like Bill a lot but agree it would be a wrong choice for a single. it's a great song but let's call a spade a spade - it's a 5th Dimension knock-off. now admittedly it's a better knock off than No Matter What Sign. But in 70 the Sups needed their own sound an Ladder did that. it established something unique and perfectly suited to them. Bill was a great song and i think deserved the added exposure of the flip side as opposed to just being an album track

Also Bill might have been a hit but they couldn't have gone for 3 - 4 more singles and several lps off of that style and sound. it would have made the 70s Sups one-hit-wonders

one of the problems is that the 70s Sups recorded so much excellent material is so short of a time. in Jan 70, they finished Ladder. Stoned was prepared and being recorded in April, as was Time to break down. Together Such Sweet Music was done in May or so. River Deep was in May. in Oct they finished It's So Hard for Me To Say Goodbye. And Dec gave us Love It Came To Me This Time and Nathan jones.

and i've skipped all of the other excellent album tracks and vaulted material.

this is an EXCEPTIONAL amount of high-quality material. So picking which to release much have been so challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i like Bill a lot but agree it would be a wrong choice for a single. it's a great song but let's call a spade a spade - it's a 5th Dimension knock-off. now admittedly it's a better knock off than No Matter What Sign. But in 70 the Sups needed their own sound an Ladder did that. it established something unique and perfectly suited to them. Bill was a great song and i think deserved the added exposure of the flip side as opposed to just being an album track

Also Bill might have been a hit but they couldn't have gone for 3 - 4 more singles and several lps off of that style and sound. it would have made the 70s Sups one-hit-wonders
    "Bill, When Are You Coming Back" was played like it was a single on stations in Detroit and Toledo at the time. There was a real demand for the "New Supremes" music. They could not release singles fast enough to satisfy some.

The background vocals are hotter on the alternate and the vocals are more adventurous, I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yKT8dWhsU

Motown should've taken advantage of the Frank Wilson productions imho

Then We Can Try Again would have been a great 3rd single....the song needed a remix....it sounds very compressed. It is one of my favs on RO...."Everybody" got tremendous airplay in NYC....so much that in the internet age I found it hard to believe it was NOT a top 10 record [[ditto for DR's I'm Still Waiting) .. EGTRTL was a nicely timed release...plenty of BG vocals, and the guitar riff flourishes are great.....Bill is an excellent song, and would have made a great single. "Loving Country" to me is what it is....a good LP closer...not a single

Then We Can Try Again is my favorite on the album [[after Up the Ladder). A remixed single edit imo could have been a successful follow-up. A great Jean vocal. "Oh, you made me do it! I'm leaving against my will. Cause a day without you just makes my life stand still!"

Remixed single edits for Bill & Loving Country would have also been better than either version of Everybody, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    The background vocals are hotter on the alternate and the vocals are more adventurous, I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yKT8dWhsU
    Thanks for the link!! Yes, it is a superior version. Jean is really kicking it up, which I suspect is why this version wasn't the single release.

I'm probably repeating myself here but for those who don't know, the cassette of Greatest Hits and Rare Classics had yet another mono mix of Everybody's Got The Right. It's on CD on The 70's Anthology. I think it's also superior to the mix they chose for the single. The song went #13 Record World and #14 Cashbox on the pop charts. Too bad it just missed the top 20 in Billboard #21. I think with one of the alternate mixes it might have been bigger. If we could turn back time!

right On would make a great expanded edition.with out a doubt a great debut

Greatest n rare is no longer on iTunes????

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Greatest n rare is no longer on iTunes????
    Correct. It's been gone for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Correct. It's been gone for several years now.
    This is my argument against streaming vs physical - you never know when it will ... go away ...

George ,couldnt we bump this to the front of the line for expanded editions.....if they ever come back that is

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    This is my argument against streaming vs physical - you never know when it will ... go away ...
    Or streaming vs. downloading. But one could argue that downloads aren’t necessarily permanent, either.

My GH and Rare Classics cassette was eaten by the cassette player a few weeks ago. Going to search for the cd version online.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    My GH and Rare Classics cassette was eaten by the cassette player a few weeks ago. Going to search for the cd version online.
    Sadly, Scherrie Payne's "Fly" won't be on it, among other discrepancies; the cassette's tracklist was different from the CD's.

Damn. I heard Fly while pumping gas! Have also heard, I had to Fall in Love.

I love both "I Got Hurt" and "Bill When Are You Coming Back" but I think "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" was probably the better choice for single overall. Maybe with a stronger chorus would have done a bit better?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I love both "I Got Hurt" and "Bill When Are You Coming Back" but I think "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" was probably the better choice for single overall. Maybe with a stronger chorus would have done a bit better?
    It needed a better mix. It was too sparse and lightweight to be a major hit. Mary and Cindy's vocals were too far back in the mix. A good album track, but not the ideal follow up single to a classic hit like Ladder.

Everybody was a poor mix with muddy vocals, too slow of a beat.

the live version is much more aligned with what i think might have worked. faster and M and C are given spotlight vocals which plays great on the idea of "everybody" and builds off of what they did on Ladder with the call out lines for M and C.

Ladder also had a lushness with amazing strings and more layered vocals. this might have helped a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It needed a better mix. It was too sparse and lightweight to be a major hit. Mary and Cindy's vocals were too far back in the mix. A good album track, but not the ideal follow up single to a classic hit like Ladder.
    Yeah, I think your right Blue, with a stronger mix, it would have been [[and done) better. The song itself, the vocals, theme, etc, are all good IMO, just needed a better mix.

I got hurt trying was a perfect choice f a follow up single so was wait a minute before u leave which I heard on wbls in t summer of 70. I also like take a closer look