Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
Another great one for me is from Valley Girl. It was a very low budget movie that actually had a good story, remarkable acting and a soundtrack that included new wave music when it was still being ignored by a lot of other mainstream projects. The best songs were those that were actually the punk that was just edging onto the pop charts back then. Josey Cotton and the Plimsouls were the highlights and I still turn it up when their scenes come on. The only hits from the soundtrack were those that weren't recorded for the movie [[Melt With You by Modern English and Men At Work's Who Can It Be Now), but Johnny, Are You Queer and A Million Miles Away broke genre walls for me and allowed me to listen to music outside my comfort zone.

On another note: I'm amazed that until high school, the only music I listened to was soul/funk/R&B. I was really a snob about it too. Then, one of my best friends introduced me to jazz against my will and I'm now a jazz snob. Other classmates played Queen and Blondie and the Cars in the background of art class and I became a fan of new wave. My cousin Tony got bused to a nearly all-white school and started playing AC/DC when I visited and although it took awhile, I'm a fan of some metal. And it took me a decade to start buying hip hop.

The only kind of music that I don't care for now is modern pop/top 40, which is too sterile, electronic and programmed for my tastes. A great movie soundtrack can absolutely put it over the top.
Men At Work were the bomb, for sure! And ditto to the rest of your observations, Jer.