Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
Gladys Horton passed away some years ago. RIP.

I have never met J. Randy Taraborelli, although I know he's close with some of the super fans. I tend to wonder what led him to write his second book, "Call Her Miss Ross"? Was it a case of a super fan and former fan club president feeling slighted by his muse, and then wanting to write a negative book that would turn the head of the diva herself, and capture her attention? Almost like an act of obsessive desperation? It's ironic because his third book was much more balanced and he wrote about her from a human perspective, and chalked up much of her earlier diva behaviour to being a young person, who has since, matured. Perhaps in the same way, we can argue that the incentive for him to write his second book was also born out of the mindset of a young and immature, yet aspiring writer. I can only imagine the heat he's received over the years from Ross fans.
Maybe after the success of DREAMGIRL, Randy figured a tell-all would be much more successful than his first book on Diana had been.

CHMR certainly got a lot of attention. I remember the day it was released in my city, multiple copies of the book filled the entire window display of one of the main Barnes and Noble's. ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT did at least three stories on the book, even including an interview with Mary who complained that some of the stories in his book were written just as she written them in her book.

I also remember some negative feedback. I think it was on CBS THIS MORNING where one of the hosts compared him to a jilted lover. Some of his colleagues at SOUL magazine also publicly voiced displeasure that he used their files for such a negative book.