Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
I didn't look at Smokey's processed voice as being a problem on Your Wonderful Sweet Love but as just another creative tool to incorporate into a song. But to regress, I did consider Johnny Bristol's additional coaching in the background to DRATS "Someday We'll Be Together" to be distracting to me to this day. Sweet Love remains one of my favorites of the JMC-L Supremes...so funky sounding. That's just my opinion.
always fun to compare fan notes. see i'm just the opposite of what you wrote. IMO Johnny's vocals on Someday are brief ad libs and don't really distract from the supreme's sound [[regardless that it's not M and C singing). on YWSSL his vocals are part of the full backgrounds on the choruses and distort the supremes sound. sort of like how the mega backgrounds on Jimmy Webb sound nothing like the Sups either. the recording IMO could have been a Jean solo with random session singers behind her

but a real duet with Smokey and girls could have been fun!! of course that would have messed up the royalty rates but ignoring that, perhaps if Smokey had taken part of a verse in YWSSL and sang with Jean. and then maybe all three girls sharing a lead and trading with Smokey. Oh Be My Love might have worked as a duet piece too