Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
the V's just had a more upbeat setlist and songs that the audience would have known. The songs that the audience probably knew that the Sups sang were ballads and therefore not as exciting.
Another way of saying that- at least for me anyway- is to say the Supremes' set was boring. Look at the Velvelettes' list. There's no comparing on which set of songs would resonate more with the audience. I'm assuming "Run" was their latest single, so that makes sense [[promotion). "Lovelight" also makes sense since it was not only the Supremes' biggest hit up until that time, but was also a big r&b hit [[#2). But everything else should've been scrapped. Might keep "Right Way". And maybe switch up the leads. Maybe give a go at one ballad and have Mary do it. I wonder what she might have sounded like on "Anyone Who Had a Heart". What if they did the Ronettes' "Be My Baby"? Or the Cookies "Don't Say Nothing Bad About My Baby"?

I'm sure no one left the ballroom that night thinking to themselves "Those Supremes can't sing" or "they're just not that good". But I'm sure most folks left feeling like they had a better time while the Velvelettes were on stage.