[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    I've long dismissed relying solely on the popular charts, the moment I've read that while Rick James had three number one hits [["You And I", "Give It To Be Baby", "Cold Blooded") on the R&B charts with two additional number ones [["Super Freak", "Glow") on the Dance Charts, "You And I" only scaled thirteen and "Super Freak" only sixteen on the US Billboard Pop charts.

Opening up to more than just the pop charts, even got my eyes and ears open to how many "Top Ten" hits Junior Walker & the All Stars truly had.
    Well you're smart to do that , because since the Top 40 was a conglomeration of several music types obviously only some of them will be able to cross over, not every soul song , every disco song , every country song , MOR, jazz , etc.. , even some of the big titles from them , is going to be able to obtain space in a collected Top 40 trying to identify itself as 'pop'.
    Certainly in the case of disco, some of the very best songs , number ones even on that chart , were not able to jump over into Top 40 and they will therefore forever be secret to the masses. That's one reason disco as a specific radio format erupted in 1979, because much of the music wasn't being heard otherwise.

But conversely there is certainly lots of music that was limited to the Hot 100/ Top 40 that was not on any other chart, so I wouldn't dismiss it as a resource entirely, which I know you aren't saying.

Yes Rick James was a glaring example of an artist that got the short end of the deal in that process. Well be glad you weren't in the UK then, where chart-wise they next to didn't know James existed!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-21-2019 at 03:07 PM.