[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Since I was a toddler when the show aired, TCB was an album I always wanted to hear and a TV show that I always wanted to see. I received the album first and was immediately struck by the arrangement on YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON, with the strong bongos and vocals to match. SOMEWHERE was also a favorite, with the MLK tribute in the middle, and Diana's vocal light years ahead of the version on the Copa. Paul's FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE was also a personal fave, along with I HEAR A SYMPHONY and THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM.

When I finally saw the special in 1990, besides the faves mentioned above, I really liked the Afro Vogue segment. After years of reading about it, it was nice to see what it actually was.

For the most part, I wouldn't change the show at all. I think it is perfect as is. That said, if I had to change anything, I would remove the group medley in the second segment and replace it with a medley of LOVE CHILD, CLOUD NINE, and I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME. I know those songs weren't in the special because they had yet to be recorded when the special was filmed. But by the time the show aired, all of those songs were already hits or on their way. Including them would have only made the show more exciting.
    Last edited by reese; 05-21-2019 at 03:44 PM.