[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Almost forgot, John. You mentioned that, at the time of release, you weren't aware that the J5's "Forever Came Today" was originally released by DR&The Supremes, and that Barbara Streisand's "Shake Me, Wake Me" was originally a Four Tops' hit. That means you must have been a late bloomer with 1960's Motown, which comes as a surprise to me. What year did you start getting into Motown?

Until about 3 years ago, I wasn't aware that Barbara Streisand had recorded a version of "Shake Me, Wake Me" -- and a very good one, I might add. As soon as I heard it, I had to have it!
    ha ha! I guess "late bloomer" applies to me in a lot of ways.
    Music was always in my life, but I think it became more personal around 1970.
    So, as far as Motown, I was with it all the way radio-wise, but my first Motown purchase was the 45 for BALL OF CONFUSION . My first LP was either the J5s GREATEST HITS or Marvin's WHAT'S GOING ON , whichever was released first. Temptations SOLID ROCK LP is in there somewhere also .

I still try to love it , but the problem with Streisand's SHAKE ME is that it was pressed way too hot, making it very hard to listen to , and it was suicide for a record intended for being played even louder in clubs. Where's Tom Moulton and Jose Rodriguez when you need them!!!

Do you recall your first Motown purchase Gary?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-11-2019 at 04:03 PM.