[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Wasn’t Mary W good friends w George? I Bel he wrote IT Don’t Come Easy as a hit for himself but it gave to Ringo as a nice gesture or something like that.
    Yes Mary and George were good friends. George sold Mary a Mercedes stretch limo that was originally owned by John Lennon. The car itself became a big news story when the garage in England where Mary had it stored sold it without her permission!

I loved the song "It Don't Come Easy". I didn't know George Harrison wrote it. We should all have friends like him.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes Mary and George were good friends. George sold Mary a Mercedes stretch limo that was originally owned by John Lennon. The car itself became a big news story when the garage in England where Mary had it stored sold it without her permission!
    I loved the song "It Don't Come Easy". I didn't know George Harrison wrote it. We should all have friends like him.

Stretch Mercedes? I thought it was a 1959 ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER CLOUD....

Hmmm She is in front of a stretch Mercedes here. But in all the stories that I read, mostly gossip, I always read that it was that it was a Rolls Royce

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Hmmm She is in front of a stretch Mercedes here. But in all the stories that I read, mostly gossip, I always read that it was that it was a Rolls Royce
    Just did some research and it seems that I read about the Rolls Royce in a Tony Turner interview or book. He is not the best source if you are looking for a reliable source, but I always did think it was a Rolls Royce that was bought by Mary from George and sold without her knowing. But the picture of her in front of a Mercedes probably proves me wrong. And as for me, I should have my head examined for making so much of such a trivial matter

Tony Turner Interview
    Q - A real eye-opener in your book is the story about Mary Wilson and her appearance on Robin Leach's Lifestyles of The Rich And Famous. She moved her belongings to a freind's mansion for the show, because in reality she lived in a two bedroom bungalow with her family. What's Mary's financial condition these days?

A - That was really my doing. Mary called me one day at my home in Long Island and she said very excited, "Oh, I'm going to be interviewed for The Rich and Famous, which actually turned out to be one of his other shows that didn't last that long, called Romance of The Rich and Famous. I said "that's fabulous." They sometimes interviewed people on location or in a hotel suite. I said "Mary, where are they going to interview you?" She said, "At home." I went like, completely crazy, I said "you cannot have the Rich and Famous interview you in that little bungalow." She was like, "Oh, you don't think so?" I said, "I don't think so. You're going to have to get a suite at The Beverly Hill Hotel or something and tell them your house is being renovated. You can't have them come to that little thousand square feet place, out in the valley." Oh, my God, that place is horrible. She said, "Oh, I didn't think of that" I said, "Well that's what you have me for, dear." I said "what about asking Mrs. Avery?" [[Dr. Avery was Mary's gynecologist) "You're good friends with her." She has this huge house up in Las Felices that originally had been built for George Raft. "Why don't you just ask her if you can use that house." So that is where the idea came from. We moved all her memorabilia such as oil paintings of herself, all of the Gold Records and we hung them up in the living room of that house. We took Mary's old Rolls Royce and put that in the driveway of this really big English Tudor that's on like over an acre of land. A quite imposing house it is. Once again it was my own training from Motown that at all costs you keep up the stars image, no matter what.

Q - Financially speaking, she was....

A - Broke. The nice beautiful Rolls Royce couldn't go over 30 miles per hour. The inside was a wreck. She finally spent about 30 grand to have the car re-conditioned which I thought was a bad move. About a year later, she sold it like for 20 grand, so she lost money on it. But, she had been badly ripped off. Long gone was the huge mansion in Hancock Park and the home up in Hollywood Hills. She was living in Studio City, on Eureka Drive in a small, little bungalow, right off of a main thoroughfare with one bathroom, 2 little bedrooms. There was about eight people living there. She had seen hard times. She was still working, but not making what she used to.
    Last edited by milven; 05-21-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

In some folks minds buying a car from someone and then taking a photo with the same person 10 or 15 years later at a RRHOF event warrantts a good friendship. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe.