The Supremes are obviously the Queens of Motown, but pretty much during the same time that the Flo years were seeing the Supremes take the world by storm, Martha and the girls weren't slouching in the popularity department. Dare I say these two groups of women were #1 and #2 of biggest female groups in the 1960s. [[The Supremes position is indisputable, but can anyone make an argument for a female group second to the Supremes but more popular than the Vandellas?)

While both groups had the bulk of their success under the penmanship of HDH, they were both pretty different groups. Martha and the Vandellas definitely had a more soul approach to their material, while the Supremes had a more pop approach. The similarities I think are that both groups were good at switching up the approach. Martha and Diana as vocalists were very different singers, but both great interpreters. Rosalind and Annette had the best blend of Vandellas IMO. Their voices really complimented one another. They had a great sound that I think was well suited for the harder stuff they recorded like "Heat Wave" and "Live Wire". Flo and Mary IMO weren't as energetic vocally but they had more personality and were more versatile than any of the Vandellas.

Still both were great groups and there are certainly occasions where the two groups covered one another [[or recorded the same songs) to various degrees of likes and dislikes. My question to Supremes fans is this: Are there any Martha and the Vandellas songs you hear and wish the Supremes had recorded? And what do you think of the songs recorded by both groups?