[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Ozone

Ozone

Anyone have the full sp on the group Ozone.
    I know the 'permanent' members were Charles Glenn Jr., James Stewart Jr. & Paul Hines but other musicians / singers got involved.
    ......... One such guy was Michael L Smith [[Lovesmith).
    Michael had a long musical career. During the ’60′s he wrote for the Isley Brothers and worked with lsaac Hayes at Stax. After moving to LA, he led, sang lead & wrote for Smith Connection [[Music Merchant; 72) plus worked with Freda Payne [[Invictus; 73). After this, he had a short spell working with Kent Washburn in St Louis [[Hypnotics, Charles Drain, Otis Williams, Act III, etc). He was then recruited by Motown & worked with Jackson 5, Jnr Walker, Thelma Houston [[76), the Temptations [[76), Originals, Cuba Gooding, Bloodstone, Supremes & Jermaine Jackson.
    He then teamed up with ex Invictus colleague Angelo Bond & they worked on some Ozone LP tracks [[Michael singing lead on some of the tracks on their ‘Jump On It’ LP).
    Michael was effectively ‘Motown Sound’ who had an LP released on Motown in 78 and he then went on to lead his brothers in Lovesmith [[81) before going solo [[ as Michael Lovesmith).
    He later worked with Aretha Franklin [[Arista), Gladys Knight & Pips [[CBS), Bobby King [[Motown), then in the mid 80’s, with Bobby Brown & Debbie Sharp.
    Attachment 1501

The guys in Ozone also helped out on recordings made by other Motown artists [[Teena Marie being one of these).
    What became of the guys ??

Thumbs up Charles Glenn's official site

Ozone was a great group! Loved "Gigolette" and "L'il Suzie".
    Last edited by marv2; 10-12-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Angelo Bond is involved with Mary Wilson's upcoming new CD.

thanx marv for your updates !

cozmic, we need to discuss and learn more about these and other truly Unsung musical heroes!

One more thing...... I want Charles Glenn's suit! Can he get any cleaner? !

Absolutely marv, man these links i posted are really a surprise to have just discovered. After reading jsmith's informative post [[thanks again !) i started browsing and found those links. Just watched again that promo clip on Charles Glenn's labelsite with amazement, because Ozone actually got together again ! And seeing some videoclip-fragments from one of their 80's songs was a thrill as well.
    Last edited by cozmic; 10-12-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    One more thing...... I want Charles Glenn's suit! Can he get any cleaner? !
    lol ! ... dig the zoot suit

That is a great clip and they haven't lost a thing. Any idea of where they are performing in the video? I know TimmyFunk would like to see Sir Nose D'Void of Funk!

Quote Originally Posted by cozmic View Post
    lol ! ... dig the zoot suit

The suit is FLY! I don't care what anyone says. Check out the one and half break in the pants over his shoe. That's how I wear 'em. LOL!

That is a great clip and they haven't lost a thing. Any idea of where they are performing in the video? I know TimmyFunk would like to see Sir Nose D'Void of Funk!
    I couldn't tell where that performance is ... maybe in the Nashville area, from where they originated ? ... i also remember reading about another Sir Nose-appearance [[besides his frequent performance with the P-Funk gang) on one of the previous African Festivals in Chicago. I think it was with George Johnson & his own Brothers Johnson Band [[without Louis), and reviews + photos of that performance were posted in a related topic on the previous SDF-forum. Juicefree might've posted there if i recall. Other great appearances on that fest were Con Funk Shun & Slave. Maybe there are more Sir Noses than i might be aware of lol.

The suit is FLY! I don't care what anyone says. Check out the one and half break in the pants over his shoe. That's how I wear 'em. LOL!
    That's the ticket ... slick & slydin'. The Dazz Band has been wearing similar suits on shows in recent years.
    Last edited by cozmic; 10-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Yeah Dazz was also sharp too in the tradition of Motown!

zoot suits are fly...

pshark Guest
    After Teena Marie left Rick James's Stone City camp, Ozone became Teena'a backup band.
    Marv, i really dig Lil Suzy. They had that Devo thing with a little hint of Bootsy going on in that jam.

That's right, that's it Pshark! The "new wave" sound was in full effect at that time 1980-82 and we were partying and just having a ball back then. "L'il Suzy" was a floor filler as was "Gigolette" featuring Teena.

pshark Guest
    Let me make one correction, Teena was still part of RJ's camp while working with Ozone.
    Thanks for that link Coz
    Last edited by pshark; 10-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.

MARV:::::::; "Gigolette".............A shamefull ,shamefull piece of funk if evey there was one, I can't understand how the vinyl itself dont stank. Overlooked jewel!!!!

Daddyacey, we use to play it through the BIG speakers.......! I still have the album, in a plastic slip cover [[to contain the funk of course! LOL!!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by pshark View Post
    Thanks for that link Coz
    You're welcome man !

Been going through some Ozone albums again, and if i woul'd've heard "Comin' After Your Love" for the first time,
    then i might've thought it was Cameo circa late 70's to early 80's, or a production by them,
    in the style of the groups L.A. Connection or Mantra lol :

There are more examples & similarities to the Cameo-sound though

"Over And Over Again" has a great instrumental break around 4:00 which speeds up the rhythm :

Dig also their instrumental debut album with a touch of jazz :

Last edited by cozmic; 10-15-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Check out the second half of this clip of "The Scene" to get an idea of how much we liked "Lil Suzy" in Detroit!