[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I enjoyed the special but have to say that mine was definitely a mixed reaction, like many. I don't really fault the producers for highlighting younger performers or those who are popular today. Even "Motown 25" did that. But completely overlooking the Tempts and the Tops who are still performing was an unnecessary oversight. If anything, you'd hope Gordy would want to "give back" something to those performers who have worked so hard [[as he has) to perpetuate the Motown legacy.

I looked hard for Gladys Horton in the memoriam sequence and didn't see her. Someone above asked, and I don't believe I saw Bobby Taylor either.

I did see the spot promoting the Motown Museum.

Using old footage of J-Lo and any others also seems like a silly use of old material as filler when they could have included more historical footage or more time spent on honoring the past performers.

I found the Diane tribute to Gordy the highlight, as it was obviously meant to be. She was in good voice. I wish she had sung "My Man" in a more straightforward manner, instead of giggling and more or less apologizing for the lyrics [["He beats me too") because she cheated a great song in a sense by throwing away the lyrics that way. But she looked and sounded fantastic.

But the producers definitely get demerits for not letting us hear Mary Wilson and for eliminating Martha Reeves, Jean Terrell, Scherrie and Susaye, and so many others who you'd think could have been afforded a few minutes of air time.
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-22-2019 at 01:38 PM.