Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
To me, Motown's productions and musical arrangements were miles ahead of other record companies when it came to artistic maturity. One listen to some of those magnificent string arrangements and chord structures proves it, yet the teenage public was buying Motown's releases in droves, so I don't think that "Some Things....." was too mature for the teenage crowd. I was still a teen in 1968, and I, personally, have loved that record from the first time I heard it upon its release. Like HDH, Nick & Val had the golden touch when it came to Diana. To my ears, this record was no exception. Like people are saying, the line "Lost in a crowd" fits the key change brilliantly. Also, I love the enthusiasm Diana puts into it with "Looky here" as well as the line, "Blindly I rush to touch your hand -- aah ooh -- to discover is my mind playing tricks on me again." That simple, exuberant "aah ooh" really pushes it up a notch. I was really surprised and disappointed when I first learned that some of the fans don't like "Some Things", "Forever Came Today", and "The Composer", as those are among my favorites, but to each his own.
They are among my favorites too!