Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
One fantasy I had was a timeline where if Tammi Terrell had lived, she and Marvin would have fallen out in the early 70s. As Marvin wanted to pursue more socially conscious material. The two of them are estranged for 13 years. However, the producers of Motown 25 convince them to reunite. After his performance of “What’s Going On”, Marvin is joined by Tammi for a performance of “You’re All I Need To Get By”. The two receive a thunderous applause from the audience.

Seeing the joy they brought to millions of viewers, they finally make up. Eventually they reunite with Ashford & Simpson, who agree to write and produce their long awaited fourth album of duets. Sessions for which would have begun in New York City on April 1st, 1984.

It’s fun to dream!
From sources read, I believe how the story went, Tammi's death caused Marvin's depression / change, as he disappeared from recording new material 1970, then came back, 1971, "What's Going On".

Yes, his brother, Frankie's war stories also contributed to such, but had Tammi lived, I would not believe Marvin's 1970s would be that radical.

My belief on Marvin, had he lived past 1984, possibly his hits could have continued up to end of the eighties. He was just getting started again with "Midnight Love", probably would have dominated onwards the "Quiet Storm / Hush Sound" era, but changing, louder sounds of the nineties, I would not be sure.