[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Stu , I think you are making my point, the Motown music was being used simply as a vehicle to present J-Lo , not the other way around , which should have been then essence of the project.
    That's on NARAS...It was a Grammy show...not a Motown show, although with the Diana Ross segment, a lot of Motown representation was involved, and they did promo the upcoming Motown Special quite a bit during the telecast...Don't forget...they have an entire Motown special coming up...taping tomorrow night for an April telecast...I believe they selected J-Lo because they believed she would be a good fit and of course, bring in viewers they want... Ratings were about the same as last year, nothing great but not horrible... I also assume that they did not want to overexpose the artists included in the Motown special they are doing... I can divulge now [[that I'd not given the details for before this) that they planned a segment to honor The Funk Brothers in 2005 after I did the nomination for their Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004. They proposed a segment with Stevie Wonder and Michael McDonald backed by the Funk Brothers...Why Michael McDonald???... That was NARAS decision. Michael agreed immediately, but Stevie ducked and dodged...actually running out the back door when some folks came to personally appeal to him to participate...NARAS don't mess around and didn't try to find a replacement for Stevie...They saw the segment a certain way and when Stevie refused to participate [[which was quite disappointing to me personally) and I learned of the details after it was too late...they ditched the segment and instead put in a Luther Vandross tribute [[Luther was ailing but had not yet passed at that time)… NARAS does things THEIR way... I did receive a nice note from Neil Portnow, but they don't beg anybody...they move on, which made me understand that much better why they ultimately told Ariana Grande to go pound sand when she insisted on doing things her way, claiming she could put a number together overnight. Sorry...they don't work like that Missy...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 02-12-2019 at 02:24 AM.