From Susaye on Facebook

The point to me about Motown was that it crossed races, genres, and overturned the status quo in the music industry. It was Berry Gordy’s dream to make Black music accessible to all people and to take the soul of Motown’s artists to the world. He made Black artists able to travel the world and spread their music and soulful class everywhere. We all know that the basis of most American music is black music. But the gift of Motown was that it changed the”Sound of Young America “ forever. Artists like Lulu, Dusty Springfield, and so many others would have never come about had it not been for Motown. We have not forgotten that Mary Wells and for that matter Diana Ross and the Supremes were chosen because of the accessibility of their voices to other races. So the fact that JLo, one of the biggest stars in the world [[whether she is one’s flavor or not) was overjoyed to do this tribute because it was her mother’s favorite music that she played for her as a youngster. Music [[ the emotional effects of it) belongs to us all, hopefully, and Motown music resonates to the world. That is why it was so successful. We each have our faves; we each have our jams and our tunes that “take us there.” I still get that chill at the beginning strains of the Temptations “Get Ready”, I still have to get up off my chair when “Dancing In The Street” comes on. I still get a thrill when those mighty handclaps start on “Where Did Our Love Go” and friends and family around the world tell me they get that feeling too, regardless of age or race or background. It was their childhood, or their teenagerey or their obsession or simple joy. So! JLo may have added her Latin flair to the mix, and Vegas spark, but Berry Gordy and Motown couldn’t wait to get his artists into those Vegas showrooms to make Motown mainstream. It’s mainstream now, so everyone gets a go. Love to all, Susaye