[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yeah but this is not about Beyonce. This is about talent and how one shows out. If Beyonce had done the Motown tribute, I wouldn't have had a problem with it because she has a voice capable of it. The woman who was chosen for the tribute wasn't and isn't capable. That's all we're saying. It also has nothing to do with race: had Adele or even Joss Stone or someone of that caliber was called to do it, I would think they would do it justice. Joan Osborne did a great job when she performed with the Funks.

So it's not because we have anything against her, we don't. We just do not think she was the artist to do it.

But apparently that means we're "outraged". Not the case, man. I promise you.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah but this is not about Beyonce. This is about talent and how one shows out. If Beyonce had done the Motown tribute, I wouldn't have had a problem with it because she has a voice capable of it. The woman who was chosen for the tribute wasn't and isn't capable. That's all we're saying. It also has nothing to do with race: had Adele or even Joss Stone or someone of that caliber was called to do it, I would think they would do it justice. Joan Osborne did a great job when she performed with the Funks.

So it's not because we have anything against her, we don't. We just do not think she was the artist to do it.

But apparently that means we're "outraged". Not the case, man. I promise you.
    You're obviously not seeing some of the outright HYSTERIA some folks are expressing over this...a freaking Grammy segment. That's what's happening to our entire society today...EVERYBODY goes nuts about everything. Everyone is outraged about everything. remember...When EVERYTHING is an outrage...NOTHING is an outrage...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    You're obviously not seeing some of the outright HYSTERIA some folks are expressing over this...a freaking Grammy segment. That's what's happening to our entire society today...EVERYBODY goes nuts about everything. Everyone is outraged about everything. remember...When EVERYTHING is an outrage...NOTHING is an outrage...
    Well put Stu,,,

Its a TV show folks....Think Variety Show here

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Well put Stu,,,
    Late to the party on this one!
    Well, I too thought it was a non-Motown Motown show segment. But please know that the producers are TV people. They do not care about tradition. It's only about ratings. What looks good and hopefully sounds good but most importantly the ratings. Ratings which have been going down down for years on ALL Award shows.

The TV networks go crazy with a too-long show...The Grammys are over 3 hours. The Oscars had a major member revolt by sending some awards to be given during commercials to shorten the show! And it's all driven by mega-TV conglomerates who THINK they know what they're doing!

As I see it...
    Motown is no more. Sucked up by Universal's UMG its just another label of the past along with Capitol, A&M, Verve and on.... The Enrichment went to the founder along with huge publishing rights. Everyone should be really happy that the memories and the music warrant a 60th anniversary celebration! And now TV and Streaming are the kings.

I will add that IMO it was done in poor taste! J-Lo might be a great performer in her genre but did not belong in a Motown segment.

I ask why is it when it comes to shows, segments or specials for Blacks everyone screams inclusion? The Dolly Parton segment wasn't inclusive. They didn't ask Dionne or J-Lo or to sing her songs. Who remembers when there was talk of Patti Labelle portraying Celia Cruz. It was an uproar. The inclusion and diversity is very selective.

I understand Motown was created for ALL people and intended to bring people together and in the same vain the tribute should have been done by someone who was there and actually a part of it.

This was your typical performance politics at play and nothing more!!!!!
    Last edited by CoolKatz; 02-17-2019 at 06:59 PM.