[REMOVE ADS]

Unknown Motown group Acetate

Quote Originally Posted by MadLad View Post
    Well .. vocally the singer sounds a bit like EDDIE HOLLAND to me .. but I can't say I'm too certain who it is.

Interesting find ..

Roger

Don't think it's Eddie, Roger. But I can't offer any suggestions of my own!!!!

And the answer lies in SFD archives! This is You're not Hurting Him, You're Hurting Me written by George Kerr, Stanley Ossman and George Clinton of Parliaments, registered in 1963, and recorded when George was a songwriter for Motown, based in New York. I am assuming it is Parliaments, but it is only an assumption. Quote, courtesy of pshark, " George was hired in 62 for Jobete. Parliaments started recording the demos in 64. Some of these demos were sent out to radio stations but Berry called the stations warning them to stop playing those songs" The info comes from our very own Soulful Detroit forum, October 2007 archives.
    You're not hurting her [[you're hurting me) w & m George Clinton, George Kerr & Stanley Ossman

Type of Work:
    Musical work
    Registration Number / Date:
    RE0000535717 / 1991-06-25
    EU0000793289 / 1963-09-30
    Title:
    You're not hurting her [[you're hurting me) w & m George Clinton, George Kerr & Stanley Ossman.
    Variant title:
    You're not hurting him [[you're hurting me)
    You're not hurting her [[you're hurting me)
    Copyright Claimant:
    George Clinton, George Kerr & Stanley Ossman [[A)

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/copyright/youre-...#ixzz1EVU1K3RC

For a comprehensive run down on the circumstances this acetate came to be made, read this link and go to the post by 144MAN o October 24 2007 http://faac.us/adf/messages/150056/1...tml?1195759944

This question does not refer to this thread completely, but didn't George Kerr have something to do with Flo's post Supremes work?
    Thanks

He did indeed. Florence signed to ABC Records in March 1968 and George Kerr produced several tracks on Florence in March and April 1968. Released first single 'It Doesn't Matter How I Say It' on ABC issued in April 1968 and no impact. "Muddying the waters was Flo's exit contract with Motown, forbidding ABC Records to mention her former group's name. Company Press Releases absurdly stated Flo 'was a member of a popular singing trio for many years'" Quote and acknowledgments to Paul Nixon and liner notes on CD The Supreme Florence Ballard which includes all her ABC work.

Track Listings
    1. Like You Babe - Florence Ballard, George Kerr
    2. Yesterday - Florence Ballard, George Kerr
    3. Until Tomorrow - Florence Ballard, George Kerr
    4. It's Not Unusual - Florence Ballard, George Kerr
    5. The Impossible Dream - Florence Ballard, George Kerr
    6. It Doesn't Matter How I Say It [[It's What I Say That Matters) - Florence Ballard, George Kerr, Richard Tee
    7. Let's Stay In Love - George Kerr, Florence Ballard
    8. Walk On By - Florence Ballard, George Kerr
    9. Goin' Out Of My Head - Florence Ballard, George Kerr, Richard Tee
    10. Sweetness - Florence Ballard, George Kerr
    11. Everything Wonderful - Florence Ballard, George Kerr
    12. Love Ain't Love - Bert De Coteaux, Florence Ballard, Robert Bateman
    13. Forever Faithful - Florence Ballard, Robert Bateman
    14. My Heart - Florence Ballard
    15. Buttered Popcorn - Berry Gordy Jr., The Supremes
    16. [[Ain't That) Good News - Marc Gordon, The Supremes, Hal Davis
    17. Hey Baby - Berry Gordy Jr., Florence Ballard, The Supremes
    18. Heavenly Father - Berry Gordy Jr., The Supremes

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  21.1 KB
    George Kerr and George Clinton were both producers in Jobete Music's New York office from 1963 through mid 1964. George Clinton usually had The Parliaments or Roy Handy sing his writing group's male-lead songs[[demos). George Kerr usually had The Serenaders, Roy Handy or Sammy Turner sing his male lead demos. The lead singer on that group doesn't sound like Timothy Wilson or Sidney Barnes or George Kerr [[leads of The Serenaders), nor does he sound like The normal leads of The Parliaments [[or George Clinton), nor does he sound like Roy Handy or Sammy Turner. He also doesn't sound like Derek Martin or David Ford of The Hollywood Flames [[who also sang a few Maltese Music songs produced by George Kerr written by his NY Jobete writing crew during 1964).

I'd have to guess that the group might be The Parliaments, using an unusual lead, "Fuzzy"? It sounds like a 1963 song to me. But, it could also be a completely unknown New York group, or unknown male singer with The Parliaments behind him [[or Kerr, Clinton, Handy & Turner singing background). There is just no way of knowing. For example, The Jobete New York office had demos sung by Carol Moore and other people whose connections to Jobete Music are unknown.
    Last edited by robb_k; 02-21-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Views: 686
    It's nice to see more demos from Jobete New York are still popping up. It has a nice sound. I like their 1963-64 work. I'd like to hear more from Sammy Turner, The Serenaders, The Pets, Roy Handy, Carol Moore, The Parliaments, Tamala Lewis and The Parlettes, The Sparkles, and also Gene Redd's demos [[most of which haven't been circulated). The Sparkles may have been one of his groups.

Views: 647
    Bump up.

Do any of you George Clinton fans know the voices of the other 1963-64 Parliaments? This singer may well be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 647
    Bump up.

Do any of you George Clinton fans know the voices of the other 1963-64 Parliaments? This singer may well be one of them.
    RobbK ..

The booklet notes done by MARTIN KEPPEL to the CD Goldmine issued of their Revilot material has the line up in that period as .. GEORGE CLINTON, RAYMOND DAVIS, CALVIN SIMON, CLARENCE "FUZZY" HASKINS and GRADY THOMAS.

All of a sudden your comment about the lead possibly being "Fuzzy" takes on an entirely new meaning .. I thought you were referring to the sound quality of the clip ..

Roger

I think it is George Clinton on lead with his first group of Parliaments. George's voice has changed a lot of the years but earlier it was more supple and I remember Bernie Worrell recalling what a nice falsetto he had way back when. Listen
    to the way he phrases and listen to the Invictus recordings [[on youtube if you don't have access to them). All of his years
    of smoking had taken it's toll on his voice and by the time of their Live At The Beverly Theatre gig which musically was a
    tremendous performance, it was clear GC's voice had seen better days. Every fan knows Ray Davis [[RIP) was the bottom and I'm sure it's not Fuzzy or Grady. Calvin, I've never heard phrase his tenor in that way. Just my 1/2 cent...

Views: 582
    Thanks. I didn't know George was lead singer of more than a couple Parliaments' cuts, and I didn't remember his voice sounding so mellow. Maybe he DID lead on that song.

Hi Guy's

Does someone has a soundbit of this track, can't find it anywhere. love to hear for myself if its a George Clinton track. Are their more Jobete acetate records around from George Clinton from the 60's?

cheers

Kiddfunkadelic

Who ownes jobete, Stone Diamond ect these days? ....Paulo xxx