[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can believe it. I remember when Diana Ross was leaving the Supremes, Mary Wilson had to read it in the newspaper or an industry magazine to find out. I don't why Motown kept it's move hush, hush from certain people. I know not everyone could afford or even wanted to move out West, but they could have atleast been told directly if even through an inter-company memo.
    Yes, but Mary knew Diana leaving. It wasn’t a secret to her. She had known for several years Diana was leaving. And with Jean being signed and beginning to record in the summer of 1969, I find it hard that Mary was totally blindsided it. Martha didn’t just show up one day and hear for the first time Motown was leaving for LA. You can’t tell me she didn’t hear word from other artists, producers, songwriters, executives, etc. They knew. They just didn’t know the date.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Yes, but Mary knew Diana leaving. It wasn’t a secret to her. She had known for several years Diana was leaving. And with Jean being signed and beginning to record in the summer of 1969, I find it hard that Mary was totally blindsided it. Martha didn’t just show up one day and hear for the first time Motown was leaving for LA. You can’t tell me she didn’t hear word from other artists, producers, songwriters, executives, etc. They knew. They just didn’t know the date.
    Mary knew Diane was leaving, but was probably never told of the specifics. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Mary knew Diane was leaving, but was probably never told of the specifics. Just a thought.
    She might have seen it coming [[obviously) for a long time but likely wasn't sure exactly when it would happen. I imagine the timing of when it would happen was somewhat fungible until they actually had just the right moment. Berry wanted that last hit too and the DR-led group did go out with quite a flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    actually I can see them not telling Mary. I wouldn’t put it past them . But Mary knew sooner or later she was going.